• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Mazda b3000- upper ball joint issue

samuel_adelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Upon looking up prices thru a couple of different parts stores, a gentleman began to explain how in order to replace my upper ball joints (due to my tortion bar setup) that I would need to order the upper control arms in addition!!

Is this true? I can't believe that Ford didnt just make it so that I could simply order an upper ball joint. Is it true that I have to replace both upper control arms?
Thanks
-Sam

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it is true, the upper factory joints are sealed units and requires the whole upper a-arm to be replaced. They aren't too bad to replace, but you'll likely need an alignment afterward. IIRC some of the aftermarket units you can press in new joints.

Timmy!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At my local parts store the UCAs were only like 20 bucks more than a typical upper ball joint would cost. Totally worth it, less work is money well spent

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

jbird7262

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, doing these as well, depends on your year, some have a rt side 2 piece design which has a additional camber adjustment or you can get 1 piece designs for both sides, but if you have the 2 piece upper on the right there is no upper arm available since the bracket has the ball joint mounted to it, then just replace the bushings in the upper arm. lf. arm is a simple swap, replace your camber bolts with a caster/camber set which give you a bit more adjustment in the alignment. Control arms run about $60.00 lf. and $40.00 for the rt. Lower b/js are replacable but have to be pressed in. If you put the b/j in the in the freezer before installing them it shrinks them a bit to help start them in the holes but they expand as the temp. returns to normal. Tie rod end and sway bar ends are easy too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals