• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 FX4 Level II

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, OK...option then... :)

Kirby N.

Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is the manual Tcase a 1354 M plane jane like the ol rangers? I went and drove an 03 blue one looking to buy, but it wouldn't shift out of 4x4 and it didn't seem to shift like the old 1354s I had in rangers/ exploders past. Made me wonder if it really was a manual tcase or some bogus lever operated electronic shift case.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The 02 and 03 manual transfer case has mechanical linkage to the transfer case with no electrical assist. The only electrical component in the transfer case is a switch that activates the '4WD' and '4WD low' lights in the instrument panel. This electrical signal also goes to the computer which I think changes the ABS strategy and possibly other functions.

Youngranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a sonic blue level 2 2003

dglandis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4x4 dash lights

i bought my 2003 ford ranger super-cab XLT 4.0L Fx4 LVL II manual transmission with the manual transfer case a couple of years ago. My 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights have never turned on. I'm not sure if it due to the light being out or another problem. You guys seem very knowledgeable. Any one know any other ideas then the obvious burnt out light bulb?:icon_idea:

recently 2 of my back light dash bulbs went out. so I'm thinking that's the problem. I already know how to replace them and planned to do it this week end.

In addiction where can I find the part numbers for the back dash lights and the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights so I can order them now?:icon_confused:

Last edited:

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well I know this thread is old but I figured I'd add my $.02. I have an '02 FX4 which came stock in automatic with the electronic Tcase. It's an early build with a date of DEC '01. It still have the bilsteins (though I changed them), skid plates, Alcoas, 31x10.50s, Torsen LSD and 4.10s. In all the research I've done, I gather that the auto was an "option". I wish they woulda thrown a bigger engine in it. I'm happy with it but for the mpg I get, ya think I'd have a V8! I also wish I had the twin shifters.

beefy_1212

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
much like Rigger sorry for draging this thread out of the grave yet again......

I bought my 03 ranger fx4 back in march of 04, it's a black xlt stepsided beauty i have faithfully loved for a decade. To this date i have seen exactly 3 of them in person, and mine is the only one I have ever seen with an extended cab and a stepside (or flairsided sorry GM for the copyright infringement). I totally believe that only 517 of the 03 rangers might have been fx4's or at the very least 517 as fx4 xlt\super cab\flairsided

The question I have is is there a way to confirm by the vin, or some other feature exactly what model I have?......... I was looking to do some long over due repairs next month in Jan. and I am no longer certain I have the fx4 and not an fx4 lvl II. Yes I know what the sticker on the side says, BUT while talking about my truck at work I found myself at [COLOR="Blue"]http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Spec_Glance.aspx?year=2003&make=Ford&model=Ranger&trimid=95708#trimsel[/COLOR] which lists my truck as a 5 seater, and mine seats 4 which is what the lvl 2 is listed as seating. is this simply an error? or did a version of the ranger cab actually feature a rear bench seat designed by some midget contortionist?

One of the repairs I plan to make is to the rear diff which has a very small leak from the rear seal, and seeing as how that appears to be one of the main difference's it is fairly important i get the right replacement parts.

I happened to have this pic on my phone, it is not a very good one but it is the only one i have handy (everything is stock, except the tires, i had them replaced with Big "O" BigFoot's, I also upgraded the shocks monroe senstrac's.​

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the cover and count the splines on the axle shaft 31 is the level ii diff 28 is the normal ls diff.

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Some of the edge models and even 2wd 4.0 models came with the 8.8" with 31 splines. All FX4's (regular or level II) should have the big center console...so they only seat 4. Most other rangers, 4x4, Edge models and all will have the flip up console and the ability to seat a 5th person. To the best of my knowledge, if it had Bilsteins it should be an FX4. I was curious about mine when I bought it too. I owned an '02 in the past but it was built in May '02. The one I have now was built in Dec '01 and has a red and gray pin stripe. Seats are the exact same and all other interior and exterior features are the same, just slight differences I guess. My old '02 had the tall bed caps and my current one has none. Looks like Ford just threw some stuff together which made for limited numbers of everything.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the level II package was only available till 2007, 2008 was offroad only

there are also a handful of fx4 1.5's out there, most are badged as offroad, but have some of the parts that were ONLY available on the level II's ie the torsen diff, but didn't have the chrome shifter, or leather shift boot.

my truck, (2007) has, (non optional equipment for the level II, and wasn't available in lower models, with the exception of the skid plates IIRC)

3 piece skid plate, front, t-case, fuel tank, 31 spline torsen differential, bilsten shocks, K torsion bars (K??) 2 tone paint, black face gauges with silver trim, black interior and headliner, 2 tone cloth seats (typically black with body colour insert) full console, or consolette for manuals (available on other models, standard on FX4 LII) premium sound package, cd6 changer, unpainted fender flares, high mount drivetrain breathers, (t-case, front and rear diffs) alcoa aluminum rims in 15x7", BFG ko tires in 31x10.5/15 manuals come with a chrome shifter, and clear "glass" shift knob with "floating" shift patten, and chrome tow hooks front and rear (rear are mostly removed for trailer hitch installation and are worth a LOT of money) they also all came with slush mats, even though that was an option on all models, and standard on base model?

they also had 10" drums, instead of 9" which I think might be a difference between the 8.8 and 7.5" diffs though

and i believe they all had privacy glass. When I was shopping for mine, I was told by multiple dealers that EVERY LII came standard with satellite radio installed, as did every one I test drove, except the one I bought.

I am sure I have missed a few things here and there...

the 03-04 LII's had a curled tow HOOK, instead of a loop, which used are worth up to 150-200$ I have seen them sold for 350 for a pair

this is the 03/04 hooks, and alcoa rims, on an older model level II that was across the street from my old house the rims are almost identical to the newer ones, with a few small differences, color options are one of them

newer model hooks

dashboard and shifter:

(clean) alcoa rims, factory painted in DSG

gauges

front differential breather

rear diff breather

t-case breather

left side you can see the t-case skid

front skid:

also: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/g-bus_rice/6bc25c5f.jpg

bilsten shocks:

and the terrible spoiler that came on the earlier years

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I have never seen that spoiler on any of the early FX4 LII Ranger. That appears to be aftermarket.

The 02 FX4 also had the front stainless steel curled tow hook. Mine came with the rear tow hook. I took it off when I installed the trailer hitch receiver. I sold it for $50 which I think was a fair deal for both of us.

Last edited:

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I also have the curved front hooks, and my rear one was removed as well for the hitch. I'm not sure if I have a front diff breather, I'll have to take gander at that. As far as that hideous spoiler...I have never seen that on any truck, so that's for sure aftermarket. I don't think many people would have wanted that option anyway. Im still looking for the raised bed rails, I can't find them anywhere!

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the spoiler is obviously an abortion, i mean aftermarket mod...

i think someone on the "bc ranger group" facebook group just posted a set up for free...

RiggerWings

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks WEEZL, I just texted that guy and asked if he would be willing to mail them to Georgia. I told him I'd gladly pay shipping. I cant find them anywhere!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
RiggerWings, You should have the front differential breather as well as the rear differential breather (it is up along the fuel filler tube).

One thing to be aware of on the plastic raised bed rails is they wear the paint. I took mine off after just barely a month after I bought the truck new, to put on a shell. The paint was already worn pretty bad. Fortunately, I had Line-X bed liner applied with it wrapping over the bed rail to cover the damaged paint. If you have a bed liner over the rails it will probably stand up to it well. Otherwise, I am sure it will wear through the paint within a few years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals