• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 donor ranger to a 1999

kosmosisx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Ohv
Transmission
Automatic
I currently drive a 1999 xlt 4.0 with 210000 miles on it... It is definitely a wonderful truck, but the front end has seen better days. My buddies dad just wrecked his 2003 xlt 4.0 that only had 120000 miles on it. I am looking at having the chance to get any parts off of his truck that I could convert over to my truck. Both trucks have the torsion bar front end, and are extended cab. I know the two have completely different hubs and front axles, but I was wondering what you folks think would be worth me swapping from that truck? I am very skilled mechanically(I am a maintenance mechanic in a food production facility), and am not afraid to tackle an engine/trans/front end swap... I have found the advice on this site to be more valuable than any haynes or chiltons manual I have seen and would greatly appreciate any response. Thanks in advance, Ray

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
first, Welcome to TRS!!

ok, i checked my LMC catalog (www.lmctruck.com), and all the front suspension (with torsion bar) interchange from 1998-2010. there are some differences it seems with shocks as they only go from 2000-2006 and 1998-2006 respectively, depending on name brand.
so, from that it would seem you're good to go. as mine is a 1st gen truck, i'll leave it to others that are running your model years to post up here to make sure.
good luck with your build!

kosmosisx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Ohv
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

Thanks for that info and the welcome!

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
u can swap almost everything

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty much everything can be swapped over. As for the front axle, if you have 4x4, the only difference is between the axles and hubs/bearings. Your truck has vacuum lockers, whereas the newer truck has the axle directly connected to the hub, its an easy upgrade if your lockers arent working that great.

I'd buy the whole truck and keep it for the engine/trans, and other pieces you might need along the way.

As for swapping anything on the suspension, hard parts is fine, but the bushings and ball joints on these trucks wear out after a few years, so replace those with new parts if you want to rebuild your front end. Go to rockauto.com and you can get new upper control arms, lower balljoints, and end links for under $200 shipped.

kosmosisx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Ohv
Transmission
Automatic
cab swap?

First off thank you guys for your responses, but I have a twist to the original question... My buddy(whose dad wrecked this truck) wondered if it would be easier to do a cab swap... Basically since the cab and front sheet metal are all that is wrecked... So basically we would put my cab on the wrecked truck. What do you guys think would be the best route?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals