• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 B4000 Tips for new owner - now with gas leak

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Long time lurker and 2nd time ranger owner. I just picked up a white 2003 dual sport with the 4.0 engine and auto. It has about 122k miles on it and the check engine light is on but its running pretty ok. I have not had a chance to connect to get the code but will in the next day.

I am going to start with an oil/filter change, lubrication, plugs and tranny fluid change. Is there anything else I should do?

I have checked everything as recommended in the buying guide and so far everything seems ok. There does seem to be a bit of an issue closing the hood and I noticed what seems to be a gap to the bumper so I assume it took a hit to the front. Also the door for the bed is actually from a ford ranger and still has the ford logo on it...

Thanks again for any help.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
On the passenger side of the intake, just behind the throttle body is a rubber boot that is part of the PCV system. The boots tend to tear and rub through with age. Replacing that, the PCV valve, and the thermostat would all be good, age-appropriate things to do, that are somewhat specific to that vehicle/engine.

And if it runs well that hose or the thermostat may well be the cause of your check engine light.

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the fast reply and the tips. Greatly appreciate it. Will definitely do what you recommend.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You're right in the year range for the timing chain tensioner issues. If one lets go it will ruin your day and grenade the engine. Listen to the engine carefully on cold starts... if it has the issue it will typically rattle for a second or two on cold start ups.

I would also stick to Motorcraft oil filters and spark plugs. The oil filters have an anti flow back valve. this will help keep the engine oil in the engine and not let it flow back to the pan. As for spark plugs... I've never had much luck with other brands in a Ford.

You don't say where you are... but if you live in the rust belt... I would take a good look around the underside. Spring hanger/shackles and brake lines are prone to rusting out.

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the additional tips, I will fix that location in my profile. I am in central NC. So far after having it for a few days no detectable rattle on start ~35F days but will do some further checking. I did check several areas for rust and everything looked ok but will take a closer look in the areas you mention.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get that plastic ThermoStat Housing replaced, before it cracks & splits open & overheats your engine.
Replace it with an Aluminum version if your smart.
Their cost has become comparable to the plastic junk,
just you've got to order them online, as local counters will only shove a plastic housing in your face.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Become OCD about both Engine Oil+Filter and Tranny ATF+Filter changes.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Assume the previous owner didn't do a thing to their truck that they didn't have too. More often than not, that will turn out to be true. Very few people believe in or perform preventative maintenance on their vehicles but wait for something to break before they fix it. Check everything. The stuff mentioned above and take a good look at the brakes.

Chances are good that if the caliper slider pins aren't seized, they are well on their way. They should move fairly easily by hand with the caliper off. While there, take a look at the pads. They should be worn evenly on both sides, meaning the pad on the outside and the pad on the inside should be the same thickness or close to it.

Look at the rear brakes too and make sure the parking/emergency brake works. A lot of people, especially those who have automatics, rarely if ever use the thing. The cables and/or the mechanism could be seized and nonfunctional.

How does the suspension look and sound? Is there any squeaking or groaning? If so, a ball joint or tie rod end may be on the way out. If one side is going, the other isn't far behind. Do the work or pay someone to do the work once instead of multiple times as things fail. My 2011 had one upper ball joint, one lower ball joint, and one tie rod end that were complaining last year. So, the front end is pretty much new now. Everything looked fine. The proof was when the creaking and groaning happened on bumps in the road.

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks all for the tips. I always assume that the former owner didn;t do much but surprisingly they claimed to have had a tune up and replaced the plugs and wires etc and sure enough they were new and the right brand!

Lights, heat and electrical seems to be working well except for the ODB port oddly enough.

I did an another level of inspection on the truck and the PCV valve and elbow are shot for sure so I ordered them, I also spent a good amount of time checking the break system. The front break pads are at ~2mm so i will replace those and smooth the rotors. The rear breaks looked really good, also the parking break works well. I am also glad to say that there is no sign of rust anywhere.

I changed the oil and filter which was clearly overdue. The transmission ATF was supposedly changed at a shop by the previous owner actually looked really clean on checking but I will still do a change later in the week. I also found that the ODB port isn't powering up so I can't get codes on the check engine light. I will do also do some poking around to trouble shoot if its a wire or a fuse. I will swap out the PCV valve later in the week.

The suspension seems pretty solid with no obvious squeaking or groaning that I could detect. But i ran out of time so I will double check everything will take a closer look tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thanks again for all of the helpful info I greatly appreciate it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think there is a fuse that effects the operation of the OBD port. I can't say which one that is off hand though. If you have an owner's manual, it might say in there. I'm sure someone here knows the answer. Heck, it might even be labeled OBD in the fuse schematic...

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks I will first check that for sure. If its labeled that clearly that would make things almost too easy ;)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thanks I will first check that for sure. If its labeled that clearly that would make things almost too easy ;)
I'm suspecting it won't be.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In my 2001, the OBD2 port is on same fuse as CigLiter. Not sure about 2003.

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome to the forums!

Not sure if the owner's manuals for Mazda are different from the Ford Ranger manuals, but a quick peek at the latter shows that they were labeling that fuse as "Data Link Connector (DLC)" in the 2002-2003 era and (more properly) called it "Diagnostic Connector (OBD II)" in 2004-2005. Either way, all 4 years have that fuse sharing duty with the "cigar lighter", so it should be easy to spot in any manual.

Whatever you do, stop calling it "ODB". You want "OBD" (On-Board Diagnostics), not "Ol' Dirty Bastard". :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals