• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 B4000 Tips for new owner - now with gas leak

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
WU-TANG FOR LIFE SON!

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WU-TANG FOR LIFE SON!
Ha! Had to look that up. You kids and your "music". :poop::ROFLMAO:
Wikipedia said:
On November 13, 2004, Ol' Dirty Bastard collapsed at Wu-Tang's recording studio [...] and was pronounced dead later that night.
Sounds more like "WU-TANG FOR DEATH!" to me.

(Apologies to the OP. My first and last OT post in this thread.)

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeh, "Old Dirty Bas'ard", thats the label on my lucky fishing hat!

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry for the delayed response and thanks again for the welcome and the tips. I will be sure to use the right acronym OBD vs old dirty bastard for sure from now on. ODB, made me think of that short story from Sin City. Either way I managed to get the OBD port working fine.

Since then I have run into a bit of an issue after the last drive about 3 weeks ago. The fuel cover and CEL lights came on when I last used it but I didn't have time to break out the OBD to look for any codes. Today I went to start it and it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I heard what sounded to be the fuel pump when I turned the ignition on but started to smell gas pretty quickly and then saw a slow drip coming from around the gas tank pooling towards the center of it.

It was not leaking before attempting to prime the pump via starting and the tank still shows it is half full, which is where I left it. So it seems to leak only when attempting to start.

I also tried connecting to Torque but it wouldn't connect just with the ignition on. Additionally with a gas leak I didn't want to do that again.

Any words of advice on what might be the issue or what to check?

Thanks for any help. Also if I should start a new thread please let me know.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump is located in the center of the tank. It sounds like either the hoses, fittings or the pump has started to leak. You will have to lift the bed to look. Plan on replacing the filler neck, vapor vent valve and the seal around it while you are under there. The fuel neck hose is prone to cracking with age. The valve and seal are cheap parts that it makes sense to change at the same time.

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the help. It turns out some squirrels decided to eat the fuel lines. I ended up having to replace all of fuel lines and the pump. Everything was working fine and then after it sitting for a few days I took it on a 100 mile drive. During the drive whenever I stopped at a light there was a bit of a puff of white smoke that looked a bit like steam. This was not a large amount but still enough to get my attention. There was no sign of any heating or a noticeable decrease in power. On the return drive there was not more white smoke and it was driving normally. Now after the drive it wont start. It turns over but its just not starting. I checked again for any signs of fuel leak and there are no signs of that. I have also taken some precautions to scare aware away the rodents...

Any thoughts on what this might be? All of the fluids including radiator seem fine.

Thanks again for any tips.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the help. It turns out some squirrels decided to eat the fuel lines. I ended up having to replace all of fuel lines and the pump. Everything was working fine and then after it sitting for a few days I took it on a 100 mile drive. During the drive whenever I stopped at a light there was a bit of a puff of white smoke that looked a bit like steam. This was not a large amount but still enough to get my attention. There was no sign of any heating or a noticeable decrease in power. On the return drive there was not more white smoke and it was driving normally. Now after the drive it wont start. It turns over but its just not starting. I checked again for any signs of fuel leak and there are no signs of that. I have also taken some precautions to scare aware away the rodents...

Any thoughts on what this might be? All of the fluids including radiator seem fine.

Thanks again for any tips.
Any updates on your issue? I'm tired of working on mine so I figured I'd troll post to see if I could help or at the least keep it bumped. My first suggestion is compression test. Also check the inertia switch. If you happened to have hit a bump really hard or something hit the truck just right it might have tripped it. Thirdly, check your relays and fuel pressure to make sure they are working. Fourth, fuel pressure test if you can. Since it was running fine, but now won't start more than likely not getting fuel....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals