• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 B4000 Tips for new owner - now with gas leak

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
WU-TANG FOR LIFE SON!

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
WU-TANG FOR LIFE SON!
Ha! Had to look that up. You kids and your "music". :poop::ROFLMAO:
Wikipedia said:
On November 13, 2004, Ol' Dirty Bastard collapsed at Wu-Tang's recording studio [...] and was pronounced dead later that night.
Sounds more like "WU-TANG FOR DEATH!" to me.

(Apologies to the OP. My first and last OT post in this thread.)

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Job2
Make / Model
Ford ExST
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeh, "Old Dirty Bas'ard", thats the label on my lucky fishing hat!

forzdab4000

EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sorry for the delayed response and thanks again for the welcome and the tips. I will be sure to use the right acronym OBD vs old dirty bastard for sure from now on. ODB, made me think of that short story from Sin City. Either way I managed to get the OBD port working fine.

Since then I have run into a bit of an issue after the last drive about 3 weeks ago. The fuel cover and CEL lights came on when I last used it but I didn't have time to break out the OBD to look for any codes. Today I went to start it and it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I heard what sounded to be the fuel pump when I turned the ignition on but started to smell gas pretty quickly and then saw a slow drip coming from around the gas tank pooling towards the center of it.

It was not leaking before attempting to prime the pump via starting and the tank still shows it is half full, which is where I left it. So it seems to leak only when attempting to start.

I also tried connecting to Torque but it wouldn't connect just with the ignition on. Additionally with a gas leak I didn't want to do that again.

Any words of advice on what might be the issue or what to check?

Thanks for any help. Also if I should start a new thread please let me know.

Woogie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuel pump is located in the center of the tank. It sounds like either the hoses, fittings or the pump has started to leak. You will have to lift the bed to look. Plan on replacing the filler neck, vapor vent valve and the seal around it while you are under there. The fuel neck hose is prone to cracking with age. The valve and seal are cheap parts that it makes sense to change at the same time.