• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 3.0l motor swap into 2004 truck

Rangerboy66

Reaction score
hello guys, i am new to the forums here but i have many times used this site to help me. however , with my current issue i cannot find what i am looking for.

so my truck is a 2004 regular cab stepside 3.0L automatic i bought it with no motor/tranny or engine wiring harness

i bought a totaled off 2003 extended cab 3.0L automatic it ran great and drove onto my car lift

i took the complete engine harness motor and trany out of the 2003 truck and installed it into the 2004 truck

everything is hooked up and good to go

the issue i am having is i am not getting any spark. the truck cranks over and i have fuel pressure

can anyone help me out? thanks alot!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What kind of codes do you get? That may give you a place to start. You will also need to get some 2003 wiring diagrams. Welcome to the world of fuel injection and wiring. It works great when it works.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It kind of sounds like a PATS or security issue. But if the PCM, steering column, and key are all original and paired then that's not likely the case.

04 marked the switch to the digital gauge cluster, and I know that can present some hurdles for engine swaps like the 5.0 guys do, but not sure if that's also true for an engine that came in that chassis. There may be an issue there, but I've never dealt with a truck that new.

Rangerboy66

Reaction score
I had plugged my scanner in and it was showing 0 codes.

I do not believe it is a PATS issue.

Is anyone able to Link me to some wiring diagrams?
2003 3.0 auto and 2004 3.0 auto

Rangerboy66

Reaction score
I am almost to the point of swapping all the wiring from the 2003 truck into the 2004 truck.

So all the engine bay wiring and all the cab wiring including the dash.

Doing so I would loose the electronic dash but I would also be able to add Air Conditioning at the same time taking it from the 2003 truck

Wondering if this is the route I should go because then I know that ot should start because all the wiring for the entire truck would be factory to each other. And in known running order

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
2003 comes with Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) Switch, part number 9341, installed at the right side of the passenger foot well. I also have 2007 manual, which also shows IFS switch at the same spot, so I am pretty sure it applies to your 2004 Ranger. If that switch is triggered, you got no fuel going to the engine. Reset it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals