• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 3.0 Automatic O2 Sensor Question

HT08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
All, I am getting a code for a bank one O2 sensor. The truck has 235K miles and I have had it since it had about 60K miles. I know for a fact that the O2 sensors have never been replaced so I would like to replace all 3 the 2 up-stream and the one down-stream.

I am looking at the Bosch website https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto and I see (besides the long wire vs. short wire) 2 different numbers for upstream and downstream. The Downstream 15716 Exact fit I can get for under $20, but the ones for upstream run about $30 and I would like to buy 2 one for each bank.

So here is my question for those that have changed their O2 sensors, do they all have the same length of wire and more importantly does Ford call for different part numbers for the ones before the CAT/Upstream vs. the ones after the CAT/Downstream?

Thanks for any input and help, much appreciated!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rangers all used the same type of O2 sensors, narrow band, at all locations, only difference is the length of the wire to reach the Vehicles harness plugin for that O2 sensor

So you can get the same three O2s with longer leads and coil up what you don't need, but keep wires away from exhaust heat, I know DUH, but when you have extra wire it can shift and melt if its too close to exhaust heat

Not sure why the price difference unless the downstream lead wire is much shorter than upstream?
It does look like the upstream O2s have an extra layer of insulation on the lead wires which would make sense, maybe thats the extra cost

On some newer vehicles(not up to 2011 Rangers) downstream used wide band O2 and upstream narrow band, and currently I think all O2s are now wide band

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals