• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003-2011 Brake upgrade options

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Some background; I have a 2007 Fx4 lvl2 and as such already have the 12" rotors in the front, I'm switching to the 16" wheel found on the off-road as the 15" load range C KO2 (31x10.5r15LT) give the truck a lot of side to side movement (I can move the bed about half a foot side to side if I shake it real good). I also plan on doing the rear disk conversion.

My questions are:
1, is there anything larger than the 12" rotors that will fit under the oem 16" wheels or do I already have the best available?
2, when switching to rear disks is it necessary to also change the master cylinder? (2007-2009 is listed as a different part number than 2010-2011, the only clear difference being the connection sizes)

Following up to these two questions; in my research, EBC Yellow have repeatedly come up as a simple solution but an increased rotor size would be preferable.
For the sake of glaze prevention I've enjoyed running directional StopTech slotted rotors (undrilled). As a recent purchase, I've yet to make ether addition to the truck (EBC, wheel size change, nor disk conversion)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
12" is the best there is available. Don't forget, there needs to be room for the calipers and the mount bracket as well. If you drive the truck on a regular basis and don't let it sit for long periods of time, the rear discs might be ok for you. The rear parking brake setup is not very user friendly since most everything is tucked in behind the axle hub and are manually adjusted.

Me personally, I hate them compared to rear drums. Now, my truck does sit for months at a time while deployed, so that contributes to the rear rotor rust issues. So, keep that in mind. Since 2011, I have replaced the rear rotors and pads twice because the rust got so bad and would not pass State Inspection. Under the same circumstances with other vehicles that have rear drum brakes, they have been less rust prone.

The Explorer rear rotors that I've seen are not as robust (no venting) and have the same parking brake arrangement. I have not worked on the other option of Mustang rear disc brakes so I can't comment one way or another on how they are or their design. I would check the Tech section on what is all entailed with the different options.

As far as the differences on the different master cylinders and whether it matters, I can't say for sure. I think those who have done the conversions above have not changed theirs and haven't reported any complaints. I know with hydraulic trailer brakes, there is a difference and they sell separate actuators for them marked specifically for disc brakes or drums.

In the end, it's your money and your truck. Do what you think is right for you.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I couldn't bring myself to do that. I've never had an issue with stopping power with factory disc drums on any Ranger I've had. You do a lot of towing?

There is a trade off in ride quality going to E rated tires.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For me its a combination of pedal feel, brake fade and service interval. I do a lot of mountain driving, as well as the Coquihalla Highway several times per year.
If you've felt the brakes on one of those newer Ford trucks, the ones that'll throw you on the dash the first time you drive it.....

That's been my preference, likely impossible to attain on these trucks but I'd like to at least go in that direction

I've only owned the truck for a few weeks as of this point, probably have put less than 25 miles on it due to the pandemic, but as those before me, I can't help but mess with the thing.
My scheming began before the truck was even in my name! :LOL:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you are good at machining calipers and mounting brackets....
12.5" front rotors from a 1998 Crown Vic fit the hubs,,BUT,, there are no factory calipers & brackets that fit.
they are also a bit wider.
for some $$$ a radial mount caliper can be made to fit with custom brackets.
not really cost effective for a 1/2" increase.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Before the 2019, the braking power on the Rangers hasn't been as you are describing. My 2011 is the same. I didn't notice much of a difference from my 1998 RWD to my 2011 4X4 as far as braking goes. But I went from a RWD regular cab with 9" rear drums to a Supercab 4X4 with rear discs. So any benefit I might have gotten from the discs could have been negated by the extra weight of the cab and the drive line.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I put chinese Drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads all around on my '10 and they're by far and away the most aggressive brakes I've ever driven.

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For me, machining is an option although one I'd prefer to avoid for the sake of simplicity. If there isn't anything of a significant size increase (presumably by gaining some space with a slimmer caliper) then I'd say its likely not worth the time investment. Going off of what sgtsandman had to say on the matter:
12" is the best there is available.
I would now ask if anyone knows what the best (price for performance) slotted rotor there is on the market? The best I've been able to do thus far $83.64 each for the StopTech 126-65082SL and 126-65082SR (front left and front right).
$46.40 for the EBC Yellow Pads
I've not yet found anything exceptional for the rear, I've heard that the 10" Aerostar fits but perhaps thats for a different year?

Blmpkn, what was it that you found?

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I haven't looked at that because of the brake work I've had to done on the truck. I like slotted, cross-drilled rotors but not if I'm going to be replacing rotors and pads every 2-3 years. I ran them on other vehicles over the years and they have been great. Be aware that there is a bit of a brake roar with those kinds of brakes. If you can afford it, I would recommend using ceramic brakes for better brake fade performance and less dusting. I don't know, but suspect, that the pads you are looking at would be ceramic.

Blmpkn will probably have better personal experience recommendations for you.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

This is what I ended up with. BrakeMotive is the brand. Like I said before, they are easily the most aggressive brakes I've ever driven. First couple days after install I was putting myself into the steering wheel every time I went to slow down. I've since taken a couple trips up through the mountains (2-3000ft elevation) and havnt experienced any fade. Nor have I experienced any noise like roar sgtsandman described.

They are obviously on the "cheap" side of things compared to all the companys with million dollar marketing teams like stoptech and the like..but the parts felt good in hand, and so far perform great.

The question with the off brand stuff is always how long the part will last compared to the name brand aftermarkets or even a Napa replacement.. But I'm sure they'll be fine.

I've put off brand brakes on multiple vehicles over the years and I've never been dissatisfied with service life. I have been dissatisfied with how long the more expensive Napa pads last though..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals