• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 2.3 with low power

shoe48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ranger sho
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2003 Ranger with about 75000 miles on it , I bought it with an engine noise that no one could ever figure out so I found a 2003 engine with 30,000 miles on it and replaced it , Now the new engine has low power and will not pull it self very well under 3000 RPM , I have had it to two different shops with about everything checked or replaced including the intake manifold , It seems to run better with the Knock sensor unpluged that is between 2-3 cyl. , It has thrown a lean 02 sensor code twice ,, Anyone else ever come across a simular problem ?

fishon91

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
mine threw a rod a while back, bought a junk yard engine, had a couple buddies help put it in, and it runs fine now. ya it has it's problems every now and then, but it's not because of the motor. i mean it doesn't have all that much power, but it does what is expected on my truck.

shoe48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 Ranger sho
Transmission
Manual
I took it to the Dealer and it was found to be out of time , If anyone ever takes the front Crank pulley off the engine will slip out of time , There is a procedure to get it back in time that involves taking off the valve cover then setting up the lower gear and cams , It runs so good it is like a 100hp was found in it ,, amazing ,,,

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals