• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Rear Differential Replacement

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good call fastpakr

You don't need to use the Torsen model as a replacement, any R7 or 97 will bolt in

But................if you do have a Torsen then someone may buy it to rebuild, or you can have it rebuilt and swap it back in, then resell the one you get now to get back on the road ASAP

Torsen is a better Limited Slip than the Ford model, but its not night and day different, it just uses gears that have a longer life(well not in your case) than the Clutch packs Ford and Chevy used in their L/S, posi-traction axles
The 31 spline is also stronger if running 35" or larger tires, lol, but in all honesty its more of a "cool" factor for 99% of Ranger drivers to have a Torsen rear axle vs Ford L/S

Last edited:

Erod459

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
it's F'ed! Opened up the axel cover and discovered a cracked differential. didn't dig any deeper to see if any gears were broken, however, More may be wrong with it. When I replace it, I'll open up the axel again a take a photo to show you all my findings.

I would opt for a 97 but winters are approaching and Montana winters are rough. I would like to replace with, at min. the L/S as opposed to replacing with 97 and re-building what I have as this would be a labor of love by someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

Thanks for that suggestion RonD. It's the last option if I can't find one in the next few days.

dumb question....how the heck do I know if someone is selling a Torsen axel? most people who post parts don't give all the details.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've got a stock clutch style limited slip carrier and the kevlar rebuild kit if you're interested.

Yikes. Sorry you found that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you try car-part.com

I found several L/S 4.10(R7) around my area, were not "cheap" but it is what it is

try changing model year to 2006 instead of 2002 and select any 8.8 4.10 10" brakes from list
Matching the V3xxx label is not required

But the later model year the axle comes from the better

Erod459

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did you try car-part.com

I found several L/S 4.10(R7) around my area, were not "cheap" but it is what it is

try changing model year to 2006 instead of 2002 and select any 8.8 4.10 10" brakes from list
Matching the V3xxx label is not required

But the later model year the axle comes from the better
I didn't find too many L/S axels around my area. I'm in Bozeman, MT.

I do appreciate all the help, RonD (and everyone). I'm searching for the R7 L/S Ford Clutch pack as the Junkyards don't seem to have much insight on the Torsion upgrade. They keep asking me for OEM #.
Is there a way of attaching an OEM # to the R7 axel code?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals