• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ranger - Video walk thru

WayOutBack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Everyone I Just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Zac. I love camping and outdoors but have been struggling getting my small fibreglass trailer into some good spots, back roads... so I bought a 2002 ranger that is need of a lot of work.... This is my 3rd Ranger. I love them. I worked for ford for 15 years as a mechanic though specialized in diesel the last 8. Since then left mechanics and got into construction. Looking forward to getting some good ideas of what to do/ modifications from the site. Anyways here’s a short video of the truck... sorry the filming isn’t a little better it’s a work in progress.
Zac

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
about those steering knuckles,,,

your 2002 came with 11.25" front rotors,
by 2004 Ford increased the front rotors to 12".
that was accomplished by pushing the bracket mounting holes out 3/8"
the knuckle and disk are the different parts, calipers/hub unit/bracket are all the same.
pads can be switched between the 2 sizes, but there is a slightly larger pad which better fits the larger rotor.
the 12" rotors is a good upgrade, and you are already half way there.

HOWEVER,,,,,

those 12" front rotors do not fit under most 15" wheels!
the shape of the barrel is the issue, most taper down and hit the caliper.

wheels with less backspacing can also fit. I have 15 x 8 steel wheels on my 2000 with the 12" upgrade.

there are some 15" x 7" factory alloy wheels that fit, they came on 2009 Sport models, maybe others.

I'll see if I can find the pics comparing what fits and doesn't fit.

here it is, note the barrel is different on both these 15 x 7 wheels.

https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/oem-alcoa-15-wheels-dont-fit.184689/page-2#post-1710782

Last edited:

WayOutBack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
about those steering knuckles,,,

your 2002 came with 11.25" front rotors,
by 2004 Ford increased the front rotors to 12".
that was accomplished by pushing the bracket mounting holes out 3/8"
the knuckle and disk are the different parts, calipers/hub unit/bracket are all the same.
pads can be switched between the 2 sizes, but there is a slightly larger pad which better fits the larger rotor.
the 12" rotors is a good upgrade, and you are already half way there.

HOWEVER,,,,,

those 12" front rotors do not fit under most 15" wheels!
the shape of the barrel is the issue, most taper down and hit the caliper.

wheels with less backspacing can also fit. I have 15 x 8 steel wheels on my 2000 with the 12" upgrade.

there are some 15" x 7" factory alloy wheels that fit, they came on 2009 Sport models, maybe others.

I'll see if I can find the pics comparing what fits and doesn't fit.
Wow! That’s some great information. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I already bought the new 2002 knuckle from rock auto clearance.... so I’m not sure they will take it back. But based on your information I will hold onto the old one and keep it for an upgrade at a later date. I should have signed up sooner and searched the site before I ordered it..... good information. Appreciate the help!

Also my rims are already 16” so I should be good to go!

Zac

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Good afternoon Zac... and welcome to TRS.

I didn't watch the entire video... but I may come back to it. The thing that jumped out at me when I was bouncing around in the video... was Ford never built an FX4 with a Flareside bed. Not sure if you addressed it in the video but I wonder if it may not be an FX4. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen stickers added. I don't believe it's even the right cluster. Have you ran the VIN?

WayOutBack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic

I didn't watch the entire video... but I may come back to it. The thing that jumped out at me when I was bouncing around in the video... was Ford never built an FX4 with a Flareside bed. Not sure if you addressed it in the video but I wonder if it may not be an FX4. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen stickers added. I don't believe it's even the right cluster. Have you ran the VIN?
Hi thanks for the welcome.... it might just be stickers Im not 100% sure how you tell it’s an fx4 from the vin.... the 5-7 in my vin is “R45” if that helps? If you want to tell me what I’m looking for I’ll let you know..... I haven’t torn off the rear cover yet to check the axle but before I bought it I did check the diff tags and it’s 4:10 L.... I will be pulling the cover soon to check it out and will post what I find.
Zac

WayOutBack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic

Ok after Some research you would be right it’s not an Fx4 just some pretty stickers.... I measured the rear axle tubes and they are 2.8” not 3.25” of the 31 spline. I corrected the description and the video description.
Man learned more in one day of being signed up here then a week of the truck sitting in my driveway. I did count the gear ratio and it is 4:10 so I’m relieved at that and it does have the limited slip in there. Just wish I had that bigger axle for towing... :cautious: oh well it is what it is.
Thanks
Zac

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

The later non Level II FX4 could be had with a step side. Not an 02, you are right about the interior too. Truck has a later front clip too, an 02 should have the honeycomb grille.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals