• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ranger swap.

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone.
I’m looking at Greg's Ford Ranger where he did the Lincoln mark 8 swap which is beautiful:icon_thumby:. I’m having trouble getting all my information together to do my own swap. I want to do the same DOHC v8 with a manual Trans. He illustrated many good points and pics but I’m having trouble with the terminology. What kind of Trans should I be looking for? Rear-end? Engine mounts? If I’m unclear:fie: I understand just let me know what I need to clear up in my questions. Also if there is another possible build that would be better let me know because that’s cool with me. Again I’m looking at some kind of v8 power, the DOHC would be nice but it is bigger. A manual Trans 5 speed OD; I just don’t know what all I need to connect the dots:annoyed:. I haven’t seen anyone do a swap on a newer model ranger like mine and talk about it so let me know what I’m missing and get some parts without abbreviations lol thanks.:huh:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I see issues....

1- Will a DOHC 4.6L pig physically fit in a rangers engine compartment?
2- Can you wire up all the unneeded and unnescary wireing needed to do the swap?
3- Will Emmisions allow it?
4- You do realize for alot less money you could do a Carbed 460 swap and get 3x the power right? And save work and hassle.

I never understood why people want all these fancy engines.....when they really arnt that great....but thats just my opinion.

later,
Dustin

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
Dustin

:icon_pepsi:Thank you for your reply,
I see your concern and I wasn’t aware that I could get more power with a smaller less fancy engine. I live in California and I wasn’t sure a carbed engine would pass smog. What kind of things dealing with rear-end, tranny, actual engine, wiring harnesses, computers, ect am I looking at? Again my truck that I’m working with is a 2002 Ranger automatic 2WD XLT. :secret:For everyone who is looking at this I apologize for the repetition of the same old conversion questions lol. I’m just having trouble finding information on newer rangers’ 2WD autos being converted. I don’t want to start tearing apart my newish truck without complete advice from the pros. All you guys with the sweet rides have put in a lot of great quality work and you are all highly recommended for these conversions and information. Everywhere I look on the web you all are recommended.:pray:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Since you live in Cali I'd say the first thing you do is check with the smog gods. A carb won't pass, the last year for a 5.0 in an Explorer (Ranger based) was 2001, and the 4.6 was never offered. Smog testing is what's going to make or break your project.

Will a DOHC 4.6L pig physically fit in a rangers engine compartment?
Yes, a 4.6 dohc will fit in a '98-up coil spring 2wd. Infact, it's not all that difficult. You just have to be smarter than the truck.

As far as it being a "pig"...aluminum block and heads (weighs ~25lbs more than the 2.5), and pushes around 300hp stock out of only 281cid. Does a 650lb 460 push 500hp stock?

Greg

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you had a 1998-2000 Ranger, the swap would be a lot easier to pass the emissions and for the ease of installation of an Explorer 5.0 motor. Depending on which motor (the 4.0) you wouldn't have to change the rear end and could get away with using the radiator. Wiring plugs right in. Only fabrication required is the motor mounts and trans mount, neither like having to fabricate custom headers. With the later models that have the PAT's (your encoded key), it's just about impossible to bypass to allow you to run a carb's motor.
Dave

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
I think I might try to do the Mark 8 install. It looks farley simple, other then the wiring harness. It’s a shame my parents just sold their 95 mark 8 lol, that thing was a beauty. they replaced it was a Pontiac grand prix 2003 limited edition 240-hp, 3.8-liter V-6 supercharged, which is still fun to drive but doesn’t handle as nice as the Lincoln, and its not nearly as nice on the inside. so ranger how hard is the wiring for that thing? What kind of tranny you using specifically along with the specific rear-end? Also what are you using a mustang intake? Thanks guys for all the information, keep it coming it’s all very helpful!

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I'm using the 4R70W trans from the Mark VIII and an 8.8 rear with 4.10 gears from a '01 Ranger. With a mod motor you don't want to be skimpy with the rear gears, 4.10s or 4.56s work really well.

Wiring is something that's going to change with every swap. My Ranger was a zero options truck, no PATS, nothing. We also don't have emissions testing here so I used the '94 Mark VIII's EEC-IV system because it also doesn't have PATS.

The intake is a factory prototype of the '96-'98 Cobra intake. Ford put Mark VIII 4.6s into five '93 notchback Mustangs to use as test mules. The intake has a casting date of 2-27-93. I came across it on eBay and just had to have it.

Greg

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
"If you restore a car back to its original appearance, even if you have had to manufacture parts to do so, it is not considered a custom car. Modification to body, engine, vehicle systems, or the vehicle's interior also do not qualify a vehicle as custom built. You may add a miniature version of the famous Caesar's Palace water fountains to the rear deck, or place a lighted, revolving shoe rack in the trunk, and your car will still qualify as a regular car, registration-wise."

ok so here is californias little two cents on custom car registration. If Im reading it correctly it says if you mess with the engine it isnt a custom car, which means you dont have to get special registration and all you have to do is pass smog.

Ranger, why did you use the tranny it came with? no manuals? also what kind of engine mounts did you use? did you use any of the Mark 8 computer stuff?

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger, why did you use the tranny it came with? no manuals? also what kind of engine mounts did you use? did you use any of the Mark 8 computer stuff?

I went with the automatic because I have bad knees. Get nice cold wet day and even walking sucks.

I'm using the 2.5 mounts with some engine brackets I made.

I used all of the Mark VIII's computer stuff. It wasn't supposed to be possible to put a 4.6 in a Ranger and I was on a budget so I worked with what I had.

Greg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since you live in Cali I'd say the first thing you do is check with the smog gods. A carb won't pass, the last year for a 5.0 in an Explorer (Ranger based) was 2001, and the 4.6 was never offered. Smog testing is what's going to make or break your project.
The 4.6 was offered in the 02+ Explorers, that may help your cause a little. I am not sure when they went to the 3 valve setup, that would probably greatly complicate things over the 2v or 4v engines. I think the rules are you can go to a setup the same age or newer than what you already have, but not older.

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
that doesnt make sense from what DMV's site said about having problems with registering your vehicle. If you change the engine, body ect you have no specialized vehicle which means you just smog it and register it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that doesnt make sense from what DMV's site said about having problems with registering your vehicle. If you change the engine, body ect you have no specialized vehicle which means you just smog it and register it.
What are the regs on registering a regular car and getting it inspected though? I think what you found pretty much just says the equivilant of "because you put a dual quad flathead v-8 in your Taurus you can't register it as a hotrod and get around emissions." Meaning that as a regular vehicle it will have to meet all the standard emmision specs as it would stock, and given that the 4.6 was never offered in a Ranger they might catch you on that and flunk you on the visual inspection. They only way to possibly get around that is to have everything on the engine certified to pass emissions for the same year as your truck or newer. That is my take on it, but I have never delt with getting a vehicle inspected in any way, shape or form. You might stop at a inspector station or something and ask around, there might be a number to call on that website you found too.

Last edited:

kevynmcghee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford....
Transmission
Automatic
do longblocks fit or just shortblocks? talking about the 4.6 mark 8 engine, is that long or short. if no one knows what other engines fit with manual trannys?

stranger

Reaction score
do not take the term short or long block seriously. a short block is a longblock. a 4.6 short block is a 4.6 long block without the heads and intake.you should say:
big block ,small block,mod motor, or windsor or clevlend too determine size of motor in a ford.you can make them all fit if you desire,manual trans optional on all swaps.just more work sometimes

Last edited:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Longblock and shortblock are terms that describe how complete the engine assembly is. A short block is the engine block, crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, and maybe a cam. A long block would be a short block with heads, cam, valve train, and maybe a pan, valve covers, and timing cover.

Although most people know what you are talking about when you say small bock (260, 289, 302, 5.0, 351) or big block (429, 460) it's really not acurate for Ford engines. Ford has had eight(?) different OHV V8 engine families.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals