• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ranger not shifting?

Ohhnulix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2002 ranger edge, the tranny went out so I pulled one from a supposedly working truck with 110k on it (ecm got fried and they just didn’t want to replace it so it became a parts truck)
I installed it, changed the filter and fluid, old fluid was clean and had no metal in the pan at all, almost looked brand new. Went to drive the truck and it seems as though it doesn’t want to shift out of first gear, it revs up to about 3000 rpm and just stays there and doesn’t seem to shift. The OD OFF light is flashing and I’m going to pull the codes off of it tomorrow to see what it says
Normally wouldn’t expect it to get to 55mph in first gear with no problem but I drove it for awhile without it shifting, fluid levels are fine,

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
What year truck did the transmission come out of?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I don’t entirely remember, is that important?
Yes. There were sensor changes in the 5r series transmissions over the years. Also if the ecu "fried" on the donor truck who knows what electronics also got "fried". The solenoids or internal wiring could be fubar. It sounds like it's stuck in limp mode (the computer senses an issue and just sticks it in one gear and doesn't let it shift).

Basically you need codes first and foremost. Get the codes and check back and maybe it's something simple we can help you sort out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals