• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 ford ranger xlt fx4 Transfercase

MyRustyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well first off sorry if there is another post similar that I was unable to find asking this question. Background is that I have my poor ranger at a Transmission shop and I'm trying to look around and price a transfer case for my 2002 ford ranger xlt fx4 that has the twin stick manual Mazda m50d-r1hd transmission in it. I'm not sure what the model of the transfer case that goes on it is. They are trying to charge me $800 for the transfer case which doesn't sound reasonable for an already used transfer case, when referbished ones I've seen online at 1k. But i cant find exactly what model of transfercase is meant for the transmission. If you could give me more insight on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from the owner of the wrecked 6 times and rolled rusty ranger

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's a Borg Warner 1354. There weren't that many with a manual shift setup, so you may have trouble finding one. What happened to the one you have?

MyRustyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you. I know they aren't common it's why I took it to the shop and didn't bother with the hassle...well I can say rolling it and wrecking the truck as many times I had is why...but it was making a bunch of noise and a clanking noise which I think was the cv joint. But they said that they chain is what is making he noise. Not sure why they won't rebuild it but I'll juse buy a rebuild kit for it and do it as a project just so I have it as a backup...really abuse the truck but that manual transmission hasn't given me any problems shifting only thing is the 3 plugs on the Trans rail leaking and the shifter seal cap rotting away but other wise it's been a very strong running truck.

Thanks again. Also for the quick response to my question

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They are slightly more common in older trucks but you may run into speedo drive differences.

But yeah, they are about as rare as hens teeth in 98+ trucks. The newer you go the worse it gets, I think they only ran until 02-03 and only in the FX4/FX4LVII trucks.

MyRustyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah so I've noticed just trying to find one online. I knew none of the pick and pull junk yards i frequent have any Fx4 from that year just the Ford ranger edges are littered everywhere. Sounds like a sound investment to rebuild the one they pull out of it. Just was making sure they weren't nuttier than squirrel shit

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals