• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 4.0 OHV loud exhaust rattle on cold start

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Morning gentlemen.
I'm looking for thoughts, advice, ideas, or any other form of information about the issue i'm having with my '02 Ranger.
it's got 113K Miles, I keep it well maintained, and I recently had to replace the thermostat housing (what a job, beware the rockauto replacement part).
My issue is that when I start it up and it's cold, I get a horrible metal rattling sound, seemingly from the passenger side exhaust system, just in front of the rear wheel.
I have factory exhaust, stock truck, and this issue just presented itself after completing the thermostat housing replacement.
I also flushed the cooling system and refilled it with new fluid.
I don't have a CEL on, no trouble with any fluids I can check, no problems with power or performance.

Thoughts?
-Daniel

monsterchuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Volkswagen
Engine Size
Compression-ignition
Transmission
Manual
Crawl under it and pound on the catalytic converter with your fist or a rubber mallet. If it sounds like something is rattling around in there, and you can't find any loose heat shields/and or rocks, it might be a bad converter.

BWT: 2002 4.0 OHV?

Last edited:

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
uh-oh. it'd be a shame to have to replace that, seeing as i'd like to put a better exhaust in it...
A split pipe system with glass packs would be nice.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
glass pack will sound like shit get a super 44 flowmaster. the exhaust noise is just something that wears out. the exhaust hanger might have broke or a heat shield not a big deal. but if you want a new exhaust that is loud and mean sounding getting a flowmaster super 44. its up to you if you get s/o or d/o and how you run it. most people get d/o and run it out the back or dump it but thats all up to you

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So tell me more about options. I want something with some growl to it, but I don't want to be the gearhead who wakes the neighbors just because I started the ranger.
I also think i'd like to have fully separate dual pipes... but that means two cats and two mufflers...

Give me some ideas! :D

TechmanDan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I found the cause of the trouble. I have a small hole in my muffler from rust. I can only imagine what the inside looks like.
is ok, i'll find someone who likes me and has a welder, and get a new muffler. Such a shame i'll have to put a flowmaster or the like on there...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals