• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 3.0L 4WD starter question

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I been stranded twice in the last two weeks with a dead battery even though, when cool, the battery tested fine at the NAPA store. Today I demanded a replacement for my 2 1/2 year old battery and NAPA gave me one at a considerable discount.

I did clean up the battery cables at the battery even though they were not that bad. So I thought I'd check the cable connection at the starter but, ho ho, I cannot see the danged thing either from above or below the truck.

So how when the time comes (now 144,000 miles and near 20 years) does one change out the starter? Must the engine come out? My gawd Ford crammed this one together.

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Testing a battery after just running the engine will give a false assessment. You need to wait several hours.

Have you considered a parasitic drain?

Starter should be accessible from below.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Battery voltage should show above 14volts just after starting engine, but below 15volts
Than means alternator is working

Before shutting off engine after driving it, or after letting it idle for 10min, battery voltage should show 13.5v to 13.9v, under 14v but at least 13.5v at idle

When you access the starter motor cables/wires BE SURE TO UNHOOK ONE OF THE BATTERY CABLES FIRST!!!!!!
Or you will get an eye opening SHORT, lol
Doesn't matter which one, but one or both need to be disconnected from battery FIRST

You can buy a digital volt meter that plugs into cigarette lighter or AUX port in dash, one with USB plugs can also be used to charge phone, under $15
You do need to unplug it or turn it off if it has a switch so it doesn't draw power with key off as these ports have 12volts all the time

Last edited:

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The truck is starting fine now with a replacement battery. Still wondering how one changes the starter on this 4WD truck. The front axle precludes even getting a hand on the starter let alone visualizing the danged thing. Must the front axle be lowered to reach the starter?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it comes out with drive shaft in place, bit of a chinese puzzle on angles after bolts are removed to get it out and new one in, 4.0l is the same

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good to know. It would help of course to have an overhead lift but that I do not have.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Truck stranded me again. Boosting the battery did not help. Had it towed to the shop. I'll let them fight the starter!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals