• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 2.3L studdering/bucking

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

well i have an interesting question for y'all, i have a 2002 2.3L with a hair over 84K on the clock, with a 5 speed, and it has a tenancy of bucking/studding at about 1700 to 2200 RPM with me barely on the throttle (about 10 to 20 %) doesn't matter what gear or speed. its been doing this for about 2 months and Ive had just about enough of it lol, I've tried replacing the plugs, put a can of seafoam in the tank and gone through the tank of gas. i replaced the fuel filter about 5 months ago so i wouldn't think it would be that. to does when i go out of my driveway, in 1st it will move just not very fast, then it will catch up. im thinking that the clutch is going out, but im not 100% sure

If it helps ive had the truck since 3K miles, and i learned to drive stick in it(since 2005), and the last 4 or 5 months the truck has been used exceptionally hard, towed my dads 1969 nova 25 miles, and towed my 1986 Trans Am 60 miles combination of rush hour I-5 traffic and highway speeds, pulling fiancee's jeep out of a ditch, and lots of heavy wood loads

Anyways any help is greatly appreciated, and if posted in the wrong section i do apologize

-Jake

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve and drive it like that for a day.

If that cures the stuttering, replace the DPFE, reconnect the vacuum line and clear the computer memory by disconnecting the battery and turning the headlights on, then off, reconnect. Let it relearn the idle by idling for 5 min in each of these conditions:

Parking brake set
in neutral (5 min)
In neutral with AC on (5 more min).

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
will do, Thank you very much for the help

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well that does help a bit, not it only does it when i stay at a steady speed between 1700 and 2K RPM, if i keep that speed for more than .5 mile

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to mention plug that open line (vacuum leak when EGR commanded open).

T1m3_Sh1ft3r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ah awesome, i just used a number 2 pencil from work lol, it was funny when i was looking for pencil after mentioning i needed to fix my truck. it seamed to work, but ill do some more testing tomorrow.

Thank you for the assistance :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals