• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 sohc idle running higher than normal

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
what would cause a 2001 sohc t ohold an idle at around 1000 in park or neutral but drop back to aroud 5-600 when its in gear. and it revs up to like 2500 on start up. just started doing it the last few days. ive got 155k on the clock. im figureing vaccume leak maybe but anybody got any suggjestions

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would check the the IAC, MAF, and TPS. Use a good digital multimeter to see if they are within spec. Most the voltage and ohm specs should be in the Tech section of TRS or in a good auto service manual (ex. Haynes or Chilton). Check for dry rotted vacuum hoses (like the PCV and EVAP vacuum hose). I've been through this with my 99 4.0 OHV. No real upfront answer. Just test and replace as needed. Hope that helps a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals