• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

2001 ranger

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You will need to add a wire to pin 19 or get the SGI-5E interface

But I am still puzzled about you getting a speed signal on the OBD2 reader????
Where is that coming from?
Is it correct, or close enough :)

GEM module or 4WABS module are the only 2 sources

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You will need to add a wire to pin 19 or get the SGI-5E interface

But I am still puzzled about you getting a speed signal on the OBD2 reader????
Where is that coming from?
Is it correct, or close enough :)

GEM module or 4WABS module are the only 2 sources
The OBD2 reader seem to read the correct speed from 50 all the way to 80

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then you have a speed signal at the PCM, just not sure from where, my guess would be from 4WABS?

But transmission shifting should be OK if so

On the PCM pin 58 should be a grey/black wire, on a 2000 Explorer PCM, thats "speed signal in" from 4WABS
So lets assume thats the case

PCM connector numbering here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/62644d1377656726-anyone-have-97-4-0l-ohv-pcm-pinout-97-explorer-pcm.png

Check that pin 58 is the grey/black wire
You will need to splice into this wire, and run wire into cab and splice it to instrument clusters, grey/black wire, don't cut the grey/black wire, splice into it at both locations, as that should get Cruise working as well

There will be a grey/black wire at pin 19 on 4WABS so you can splice in there instead of PCM, up to you

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Then you have a speed signal at the PCM, just not sure from where, my guess would be from 4WABS?

On the PCM pin 58 should be a grey/black wire, on a 2000 Explorer PCM, thats "speed signal in" from 4WABS

PCM connector numbering here: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/4-0l-ohv-sohc-v6-tech-33/62644d1377656726-anyone-have-97-4-0l-ohv-pcm-pinout-97-explorer-pcm.png

You will need to splice into this wire, and run wire into cab and splice it to instrument clusters, grey/black wire, don't cut the grey/black wire, splice into it at both locations, as that should get Cruise working as well

There will be a grey/black wire at pin 19 on 4WABS so you can splice in there instead of PCM, up to you
I guess I'll have to use the 58 pin on the PCM wiring instead of pin 19 on the 4wABS cuz there's no pin or wire in 19. Other than wiring into the cluster where else do I need to wire into

DaimonCarpenter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic

There's no wire at Ben 19 on the ABS so I will have to use the 58 on the PCM and wired into the cluster and what other location just to be clear.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there a grey/black wire on 4WABS?

The PCM must be getting Speed Signal from somewhere

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
On 2001 V6 Ranger, speed signal comes from PCM (now missing). 2000 Expo speed signal comes from ABS and G-Force transducer (not in Ranger) so, nothing to generate a speed signal.

Options: Graft in Expo ABS and G-Force sensor or consider a Dakota Digital solution.

If lucky, the current transmission will support a gear driven VSS making for an easy and inexpensive solution.