• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger XLT 2WD 4.0 Build

soner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have had a vision of building a truck for many years now. Something to toy with, but keep legal for use on the street. I decided to buy a ranger to build on 6/4/20. It is a 2001 Ranger XLT 2WD 4.0 with 172xxx miles on it. Clean California title, passes smog and clean enough on the inside to thrash with my projected vision. So that night I started doing some research again and decided if I buy the fiberglass now, I will want to continue to build process. So I bought the 5" TT flared fiberglass fenders from Fiberwerx. The following morning my girlfriend decided to tell me she was pregnant with my child. I am thrilled, but time to get a move on buying parts for this truck before it is too late. I did watch her pee on a test and come back positive.

So I spent some more time doing some more research on all sorts of companies over the last 2 weeks and have found some really cool set ups. Here is what I have decided purchased so far for my build.

I still need to find someone local to build me a roll cage, bed cage, engine cage, and the front and rear bumper. I am going to keep the 4.0 and rebuild it. The trans shifts hard so it will need to go into my local transmission shop for a rebuild. I plan to run King coil overs and bump stops. Camburg limit straps. I would like to buy the Camburg shock and resi mount kit also. A 9" rear end with some new gears, maybe 4:11? I have not purchased any wheels and tires just yet, but its getting close to that time. I still drive this truck to save miles on my 2019 Silverado Trail Boss lease.

Let me know if I am missing anything important. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as well. This is my first off-road build, I have restored several award winning muscle cars.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals