• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger, rearmost fuel tank strap holder rotted out.

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I found about 3 threads on the subject, all were dead ends except for one. But his problem was the front tank strap mount.

This is the part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-1998-2011-Ford-Ranger-Gusset-Reinforcement-Plate-Assembly-2L5Z-5097-BA-/193509712840

On this ranger the front bracket looks mint, and maybe it was replaced before. I am not seeing any solutions for the rear strap mount. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Austin

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Have you check LMC Truck or Ford Parts?

What does the structure the bracket attaches to looks like? No point in replacing the bracket if the sheet metal holding is rotted out too.

AustinAubinoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have you check LMC Truck or Ford Parts?

What does the structure the bracket attaches to looks like? No point in replacing the bracket if the sheet metal holding is rotted out too.
Hi Thank You, but no one has this part. Seems to be riveted to the inner frame. Supposedly ford has no solution to this, as it is part of the frame, according to a comment I read. Frame appears fine, the slotted mount just holds dirt and is gone. The shop that did the inspection for my friend said as long as they yank on the strap and it does not move, they do not care how it is attached, so I may just clean up the frame, shield the tank, and TIG weld the T end of the gas tank strap to the frame. Will suck when the fuel pump goes out, but not really sure what else to do. I guess I can drop the tank, cut out the rot on the mount and rebuild it, but this is a favor to my friend who just wants to drive it. So not really looking to spend a whole weekend messing around with it!

Thanks again and any ideas please let me know!

Ok I just answered my own question. At the 3;29 mark it clearly shows that the rear most mount hole is in the actual rear crossmember.

This is the replacement crossmember.

That looks like a lot of work, but I think either way we should drop the tank and see how bad the rest of the member is. I also have a 2008 and a 2009 Ranger for work, guess they changed the design in 2003?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals