• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger key very worn - replacement?

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've done a little searching on the General forum and didn't find any posts with the answer...

How do you get a replacement key when your original keys are badly worn?
Do I have to go to a Ford dealer and pay a lot of $$?

Or is there a 3rd party that can create the key from the VIN number or some other code somewhere on the Ranger, perhaps?

How much is a fair price to pay?

Thanks,
Eric

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Around me PATS keys go for about $20, give or take, no matter where you buy them.

If you have at least two existing keys that still turn the lock you don't need the new ones programmed, you can do it yourself, as long as one is not a clone of the other.

Most locksmiths that do anything with cars can program PATS keys these days, but all the ones I have dealt with, or know people who have, are just as expensive, or more so, than the dealer.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
An old rental car hack is to take an old key and just zip tie it under the plastic on steering column. Then you can just have a cheap blank key cut with no chip. As long as the original chipped key is on the steering column the truck will start with a normal non-chipped key.

But like adsm said, if you have 2 keys just buy a blank on amazon for 10 bucks, have it cut at home depot and program it yourself.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I thought they put plastic keys in the newer owner's manuals, just for times like this. My dad still has his for his F150. It's yellow plastic mold and you break it out and can make a copy. IIRC it even says "COPY" or something like that on it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An old rental car hack is to take an old key and just zip tie it under the plastic on steering column. Then you can just have a cheap blank key cut with no chip. As long as the original chipped key is on the steering column the truck will start with a normal non-chipped key.
If you do that and accidentally use a chipped key the truck will lock you out.

I thought they put plastic keys in the newer owner's manuals, just for times like this. My dad still has his for his F150. It's yellow plastic mold and you break it out and can make a copy. IIRC it even says "COPY" or something like that on it.
I don't think they do that anymore. I found a blue one in a '86 Ranger though, very neat idea. I think it was if you locked yourself out you could use it once or twice to get back in.

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
would like to have new key created, rather than copied

Since my original key has most of the points worn off, I'd like to have a new key created from the original code/specs. I note that sometimes I put the key in the lock and it doesn't always physically catch and allow the lock to turn. I suspect that means it's on the edge of not working. Thus, I'd rather have a new key created with the original code/specs so I have a key I can call my master, and can have trustable copies made, if need-be.

So, everyone agrees that the 2001 Ranger would have a PATS key?
I do have 2 keys. One is with me in the city, and one is out at our lake place.
I bought the truck used, so I don't know if both are original from Ford, or if one is an aftermarket copy.
The key in my pocket has a metal Ford oval badge, with all the paint worn off.

It sounds like there is a recommended procedure for "marrying" a new PATS key to the truck?
Is there a "Sticky post" on that somewhere in the forum?

Thanks for the advice,
Eric

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Since my original key has most of the points worn off, I'd like to have a new key created from the original code/specs. I note that sometimes I put the key in the lock and it doesn't always physically catch and allow the lock to turn. I suspect that means it's on the edge of not working. Thus, I'd rather have a new key created with the original code/specs so I have a key I can call my master, and can have trustable copies made, if need-be.
I have had more success making copies of worn originals than doing it by key code. Also, unless you have a copy of the key code already you are unlikely to be able to get it. Ford only keeps that info going back 5 or 6 years.

So, everyone agrees that the 2001 Ranger would have a PATS key?
I do have 2 keys. One is with me in the city, and one is out at our lake place. I bought the truck used, so I don't know if both are original from Ford, or is one is an aftermarket copy. They key in my pocket has a metal Ford oval badge, with all the paint worn off.
Yup. I think 2001 was the first year it was standard on Rangers, but you have just described a PATS key. As long as both are Ford or Stratec keys it is unlikely one is a clone of the other.

It sounds like there is a recommended procedure for "marrying" a new PATS key to the truck?
Is there a "Sticky post" on that somewhere in the forum?

Thanks for the advice,
Eric
It is not "recommended" it is required. If the key isn't programmed it won't work.

If you have the owners manual check there for the procedure.

On your though it should be place programmed key 1 in the ignition and turn to run for 3 seconds, repeat with programmed key 2, repeat with unprogrammed key 1, repeat with programmed key 1 again.

That's why clone keys don't work for customer programming. The computer needs to see two unique ID numbers from the programmed keys before it allows adding the third, and a clone has the same ID number as the one it was made from.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999 and up V6 Rangers had PATS, i.e. 3.0l or 4.0l engines
Rangers with 4cyl 2.5l SOHC Lima engines(1998-2001) did not

Rangers got the new 4cyl 2.3l DOHC Duratec engines in mid-2001 and they got PATS at that time, so 2001 could be PATS or non-PATS depending on engine size.

You can remove your lock cylinder and take it, with the worn keys, to a locksmith and have new, less worn out, PATS keys made
A Ford Dealer can often make a new PATS key, or keys, from your VIN

A heads up, if keys are worn out then cylinder may not like NEW keys, it can be worn as well, so grain of salt on that.

As said if you have 2 working PATS keys now then you can add new PATS keys yourself

If you don't then someone with a Laptop and Ford software can add new PATS keys that way, this can only be done by plugging laptop into the truck, I know make sense but some have asked if you can take computer in to have keys added to it, answer is no, but you can Delete PATS from a computer, while its out of the truck, if you have programming software

Last edited:

neutronranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
more details

I've got a 2001 Ranger with 4WD 4.0L V6.
By the descriptions, I must have a PATS key.

Thanks for the ideas (locksmith, buy blank PATS key & marry it myself, etc.)

I just contacted my local Ford dealer to see what they charge to create a new key (rather than copy my worn key)....we'll see how that option plays out.

edit:
The Ford dealer here in Minnetonka looked up my VIN and said they could not retrieve the key codes and thus could not cut a new key.
They said they could make a copy my current key and program a new key:
$35 for a blank key
$75 to program it

Program it?? Is that what they call the "key marrying" procedure of inserting key #1, then key #2, then the new key?
Since I can do that, there's no way I'm going to pay them $75 to perform the "key marrying" procedure!

Eric

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A good locksmith can read cuts on current key then cut a brand new working key (not copied)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As said, adding new PATS keys can be done if you still have TWO working PATS keys(no clones)

But what happens is that many just have the TWO keys now, and lose one..............
And THEN you want the spare key made :)

So now you have to pay to have it added
With PATS its best to have 3 working keys, NOW, so if you lose one you have the option of adding a 3rd yourself

Yes, Ford may only have VIN records 15 years old and newer, some times only 10 years old
So they may not be able to get the key info from VIN

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've got a 2001 Ranger with 4WD 4.0L V6.
By the descriptions, I must have a PATS key.

Thanks for the ideas (locksmith, buy blank PATS key & marry it myself, etc.)

I just contacted my local Ford dealer to see what they charge to create a new key (rather than copy my worn key)....we'll see how that option plays out.

edit:
The Ford dealer here in Minnetonka looked up my VIN and said they could not retrieve the key codes and thus could not cut a new key.
They said they could make a copy my current key and program a new key:
$35 for a blank key
$75 to program it

Program it?? Is that what they call the "key marrying" procedure of inserting key #1, then key #2, then the new key?
Since I can do that, there's no way I'm going to pay them $75 to perform the "key marrying" procedure!

Eric
It's not really "marrying". That implies that the key will only work with that vehicle, and that vehicle will only work with that key, unless you go through the process again with different parts. If you have another vehicle with the same tumbler set in the locks that key can work with as many vehicles as it will turn the locks for, and the vehicle itself can accept up to 8 keys. The proper term is "programmed" since all you are doing is writing the ID number of the key into a table on the computer. If you must put it into human social terms "introduced" is a far more appropriate one.

The dealer is not going to just do the customer programming procedure that I gave you, unless you leave them both of the old keys. What they will do is go in with the scanner and put it in that way, which takes a lot longer.

As I said before, the dealer isn't going to be able to look up the key cut info because the truck is too old and has aged out of the database. Ford make millions of vehicles a year, they have to draw that line somewhere or they will end up spending all their money on data storage.

As Ron pointed out earlier the lock will wear with the key, and a brand new one may not work perfectly. I've run into this, and it is one of the reasons that a copy of the existing key will be more likely to work well than a code-cut one. Also, code cut keys can just be poorly done, it takes far more skill to do it that way. You would be amazed at how good a cut even an old, worn out key can give when being copied. I've made copies of keys that could be pulled out of the ignition once it was turned that looked perfect.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I’m tight on time right now, but I’ll try to hit a couple points real quick.

When I got my latest Ranger, I got one key with the truck, PATS of course. I asked the local dealership and was quoted $110 to program up to 8 keys plus the keys. The local locksmith wanted $40 a key and $65 per key to program. I went looking for another option.

Found a locksmith who I could send a high definition picture of my key to, he would work out the code, cut a chip key and ship it to me for around $21. Price goes down a little if you get more keys because that’s counting shipping. Not exactly sure of his current prices since I’m now able to cut my own off of that key.

Still left me with programming. Got an adapter for my laptop and went to work finding a program to get me access. If that failed, I learned that the good snap-on scanners will get you in and I know people. Found my truck had three keys programmed but I only had one, so I dumped the memory and put my keys in. Now if one of those other keys would show up, they can unlock the door but not start the truck.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
A good locksmith can read cuts on current key then cut a brand new working key (not copied)
You are right about that. My assistant is a retired 35 year locksmith. I had a 96 monte carlo gave to me and the key is missing. There is no key code on the cylinder. Someone soldered the correct resistor in for the vats and I can just use a regular key for the ignition. He is going to disassemble the lock itself and see what tumblers are in it and cut the key according.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals