• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger ignition issue - won't start with key, starts with relay jump

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello! I've been a lurker as I've owned a couple Rangers before my current one. I purchased this 2001 a few weeks ago. It was listed as running but not drive-able due to needing a clutch. I ended up changing the clutch master cylinder in front of the guy's house and drove it home (he seemed pissed and it was a steal). The issue I'm having which was present when I purchased it is that in order to start it, I must have the key in the on position and then push the contacts together on the starter relay. My first thought was the starter switch but after replacing it with a new one, the issue has not been resolved. Anyone have any guesses as to where my fault could be? The PO believed there is a ground issue somewhere. Solving electrical issues is not my strong point. Thanks!

Also, the clutch also seems to engage when the pedal is only a couple inches off the floor, does this sound like I'm not quite fully bled?

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No one has an ideas? :(

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Patience, grasshopper.

1. Yes. It sounds like you may need to bleed the clutch some more.

2. Check clutch safety switch and make sure it is closing when you try to start the engine. The signal for the starter relay goes through that switch.

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Patience, grasshopper.

2. Check clutch safety switch and make sure it is closing when you try to start the engine. The signal for the starter relay goes through that switch.
Patience, grasshopper.

Thanks for the response. I've tried bypassing the safety switch to no avail. Of course, I may not be doing that correctly but I was using information I found on this site. That was my first thought since the safety switch doesn't seem to stay on the clutch push rod securely.

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any other ideas? The PO had a bunch of audio equipment in it which has been removed but I have yet to find the issue.

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I still haven't figured this issue out. I've just been turning the key to on and pushing the contacts on the starter relay together. I'd really like to sort this issue out. Any ideas?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My sympathies parashootist, I had the same problem with an automatic. I actually believe your thread is what helped me get it started in the first place, using a jumper. My issue was in the shift linkage being out of alignment, which I have somewhat resolved.

Yours is likely in that clutch switch that allows it to start only when the clutch pedal is depressed.
I think you should likely investigate that thoroughly, keeping in mind the previous posts as well

I also think both our problems came down to that one point, the starter engage switch(whatever it's called)

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My sympathies parashootist, I had the same problem with an automatic. I actually believe your thread is what helped me get it started in the first place, using a jumper. My issue was in the shift linkage being out of alignment, which I have somewhat resolved.

Yours is likely in that clutch switch that allows it to start only when the clutch pedal is depressed.
I think you should likely investigate that thoroughly, keeping in mind the previous posts as well

I also think both our problems came down to that one point, the starter engage switch(whatever it's called)
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll dig more into the clutch safety switch. I've tried starting with it hooked up and attempting to bypass it. I did try replacing the starter switch which didn't help. I would assume my issue can't be with the PATS system since the truck will start? That kind of means it has to be the fuse, the clutch safety switch, or some wiring in between there and the relay?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2001 START wiring diagram below

Fuse 24 in cab fuse box is energized by key in START position shouldn't be hard to test for that

If so the ignition switch is putting out 12volts correctly

Starter Relay in engine fuse box, relay 49 in 2001 I think
It is Grounded by PATS software in the computer, pin 44 of computer becomes a Ground when Key passes PATS test
Yes, if engine starts by jumping then key is passing the test but may not be Grounding the relay

So to test this, after checking fuse 24 for 12volts, pull out the starter relay and find the 85 and 86 slots
Lay out here: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/images/mini-automotive-relay-wiring-840x.jpg

Use test light or volt meter to see if 85 or 86 is a Ground, neither should be
Turn key on
Test again, 85 or 86 should now be a ground, if not then Computer is not grounding it, could be bad wire from pin 44

While testing also test if 85 or 86 has 12volts with key in START and clutch pedal down
It should

Attachments

parashootist

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals