• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ranger grinding while braking, brakes good

DeemedAcceptable

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning! I have a 2001 Ranger 4x4 and after driving a bit (about 5 miles or more) I get a bad grinding and pulling to the left while braking. All the brakes are good. Front pads and rotors are newer and meaty. No evidence of grinding on the rotors. Short distances, just a minor squeak. Any ideas? Cannot figure this out!! Back brakes are good too. About 125,000 miles on it. Thanks for any help!!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Drive it about 5 miles or till it starts pulling, and then get out and feel the wheels. See if one of them is hotter than the others. If you find one, that caliper is sticking.

DeemedAcceptable

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I’ll give that a try, but not not sure about why it would be making a grinding noise, with no grinding evidence.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Lets see if we can figure out the pulling, and that may lead to the grinding.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2001 2wd 3.0 does the same exact thing....rotors and pads are perfect/worn normal, have newer rear brakes....i cant figure it out...new calipers helped for a while, an alignment helped for a while.....my alignment didn't hold very well which led me to wonder if something is warped or bent beyond holding an alignment ,thus possibly being my problem, but what's grinding??? I've also thought that since i have new calipers,rotors,pads that maybe its a brake line not flowing properly TO a caliper, theres two cylinders for each caliper on mine.. maybe if one cylinder is coming and going in and out faster or slower than the other, the pad gets pushed unevenly and somehow wobbles into a position that it grinds against something ?? I see no grind marks though on ANYthing, it's really weird, makes me wonder about my rears but they are newer and good also.....only thing left maybe is wheel bearings, my thing happens when i have to brake somewhat fast, firmly, and comes near the/at the end of the stop.....maybe the bearings can handle everything but a quick firm stop? I have the new bearings, seals, grease, ready to go just need to get around to doing it, .....symptom hasn't happened in a few weeks.....

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Did someone say wheel bearings?

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Did someone say wheel bearings?
I need to do em....ive replaced a few on my other trucks, never had quite this symptom, usually they were noisier in general, not just at the end of a long hard stop, but if that's what it is that's what it is....pretty easy job with the right tools

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Like @franklin2 said, check the hub temp at the end of a 5 mile drive. The hot one is a bearing or a dragging pad caused by a sticky piston.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals