• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 Not Working

peytia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
About a year ago I inherited a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT from my grandpa with a 4.0 L to drive it. The 4x4 has never worked.
When I start the truck up, neither of the 4x4 lights are lit up. I have manually shifted it into 4x4 by taking the motor off and shifting it with a wrench, and it worked just fine from what I remember. I just replaced the shifter motor today with no change in its function.
A lot of the posts on here mentioned faulty 4x4 pcm’s and switches but a lot of the posts confused me and I wanted to ask for help directly. Is there any way I can check these systems before i go out and dump a bunch of my money on parts that don’t need replacing? Thank you for the help in advance. I am happy to provide more information if needed.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

The switch rarely breaks, so forget that

Check fuses 5 and 10 in cab fuse box
Fuse 13 in Engine bay fuse box is for the shift motor, check it as well

The 2001 to 2005 did have issues with the 4x4CM(command module)
In 2001 -2003 its located behind the passenger side kick panel, says 4x4CM on the label
In 2004 and up its behind the radio

Looks like this: https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/163982339144_/1L54-7H417-AB-Ford-Ranger-Explorer-2dr-Transfer-Case-Computer.jpg

Dorman also sells a replace model
Wrecking yards are a roll of the dice unless they have a 10 or 30day exchange warranty, because these did fail, a used one may be bad

The 2006 and up 4x4CM were redesigned and will NOT work in the 2001-2005

The shift motor can wear out, but if they quit working you will usually get Flashing 4WD lights on the dash, that means 4x4CM and switch are working but motor isn't

No 4WD lights usually means 4x4CM is bad, as it controls the 4WD lights

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals