• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 B2500 Ball joint help

brianb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hello All, my truck has been making a terrible squeak and squeal whenever I turn while driving, so I bought a ball joint kit (upper arms, lower ball joints, etc) So, I feel somewhat confident about the upper portion, but as for the lowers, I don't think I own a press kit...so any tips tricks on doing without woudl be appreciated.

Also, just a thought, but I recall that when I was building motorbike motors, I used to stick the bearings in the freezer overnight, then heat the case with a torch and just drop the bearings in without any fuss, wondering if the same idea can be used for the replacement lower balls joints...anyone done this?

Brian

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
this is for the 98+ Rangers with SLA front suspension.

the hardest part of the lower ball joint replacement is finding a good piece of pipe or very large socket that fits the ridge on the ball joint. it has to be deep enough to clear the stud. I think its about 2-1/8" I.D.

jack truck up, place jackstand under frame.
remove steering knuckle/spindle., CV if its 4wd.
place something very solid under the lower control arm, something that won't slide out.
remove snap ring from top side of ball joint.
with medium size hammer pound on center of BJ to drive it down.

installation needs that critical piece of pipe!!! and something to cap it.

from the bottom, place BJ in hole, slide pipe over BJ, it has to properly contact that ridge, no touching the boot allowed. DON'T POUND ON THE STUD.
very firmly support the pipe, I used a bottle jack, put pressure enough to slightly lift the control arm. jackstand still firmly against frame.
begin tapping the control arm to drive it down over the BJ, don't get carried away or use a BFH. alternate sides, grease or never-seize it.
make sure you drive the BJ up far enough that the snap ring fully seats in the groove.
a ball joint removal tool kit will probably have the necessary "pipe" to support the B J from the stud end.

I've done the lower BJs on 2 trucks this way, works great, and you get to beat on something with a hammer!!!

Perry

brianb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All, thanks for the replies! A new development is that I found someoe who will do upper and lower install on both sides for $240....seems like a deal? (I already have the parts, this is just labor)......

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All, thanks for the replies! A new development is that I found someoe who will do upper and lower install on both sides for $240....seems like a deal? (I already have the parts, this is just labor)......
That sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

That is if the someone knows what the heck he is doing. Or isn't going to find a dozen other things that just have to be fixed before you can have it back.:bawling:

brianb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds like a hell of a deal to me.

That is if the someone knows what the heck he is doing. Or isn't going to find a dozen other things that just have to be fixed before you can have it back.:bawling:
Guy ended up being about 5-20 minutes from my house and I got them replaced saturday morning while I waited. Now have to get alignment and host of other "fixes".

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a question about the original post.

How do you now know if you have a ball joint press kit or not?

brianb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question about the original post.

How do you now know if you have a ball joint press kit or not?
My parents were fond of garage sales and I occasionally got some auto tools off them, I seem to recall a kit, but wasn't sure...and recently the lady wanted to clean out the garage, so nothing is where it was before....ended up working for the best as the upper ball joints were the wrong size, so I would have been stuck at the house if I had done myself.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals