• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4.0 SOHC rattle

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the forum, but really like it here so far. It seems that there's a great bunch of folks here.

I recently acquired a 2001 4.0 that had been sitting for about three years. I've done quite a bit of work and replaced quite a few parts getting it reasonably roadworthy. It runs pretty good now and the only code is something about the passenger airbag light or something. My question now is this rattle that it has. I've read enough to know there was a problem with the timing chain tensioners on the earlier model 4.0's. I've recorded a video of the noise and would like you guys who are more familiar with the rattles and other sounds these trucks make to give me your opinion on what it sounds like. I know video sound never quite gets it right as compared to a real world experience,but I doubt I could get many of you to road trip to the beautiful white sand beaches of Northwest Florida to diagnose it, so I figure it's worth a shot. :D

Here's the link: SOHC 4.0 rattle

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been a long time since I messed with one of those. Your video isn't showing up for me. But those early timing chain guides were some kind of nylon that broke up in heat. Hard to believe any of them are still around. But your truck would be in the bad batch and it may not have been used enough for it to show its ass earlier. It has some long chains in there that you could jump-rope with. It's that, in my opinion. Being in Florida, I'm sure it's a nice truck and worth fixing.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Been a long time since I messed with one of those. Your video isn't showing up for me. But those early timing chain guides were some kind of nylon that broke up in heat. Hard to believe any of them are still around. But your truck would be in the bad batch and it may not have been used enough for it to show its ass earlier. It has some long chains in there that you could jump-rope with. It's that, in my opinion. Being in Florida, I'm sure it's a nice truck and worth fixing.
Yep, I screwed up the link. It's fixed now. The truck is in pretty good shape to be 18 years old, but it does have 258k on it.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Consider yourself VERY LUCKY your truck has made it that far. There have been more trucks than one could count that went to the great scrapyard in the sky because of those chains failing.

I count my blessings every single time I start/drive my 2001 and I've got 190,000 on mine.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My parent's old Explorer made it to around 160k before it sounded like it was going to grenade at any moment.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even if the 4.0 SOHC wasn't notorious for timing chain issues, 250k+ miles is a lot on what could be the original chains/guides/tensioners.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I wouldn't spend money on a 258k engine unless you tear it all the way down and make sure the rest of it isn't worn out. The 4.0 SOHC is a unique design, the Germans didn't want to have 2 head castings so they used 2 left side heads and drove the right cam off the rear of the balance shaft. The engine uses 8 sprockets and 4 timing chains-if you include the oil pump drive- and looks like someone gave Rube Goldberg a box of sprockets and 10 feet of chain and told him to use it all. I've bought 2 new 4x4 Rangers with SOHC engines only because the 3.0 was too doggy to live with in hilly country but it's my least favorite engine that ever wore the oval.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Ok, lots of comments, but none that directly relate to my question about the rattling noise. So we'll move on.

I've only got about $1400 in the truck at this point not including my labor and I've found a 2000 4x4 Explorer V8 on CL for $1400. Is that pretty much a direct swap? Is it worth it?

I'm not sure the 4.0 doesn't have head and/or head gasket issues as well, so If I do decide to fix the engine it would be a full cab off rebuild so I can clean up the frame, cab and trans while I'm at it.. It runs pretty good, other than the noise, although I did get a #4 misfire code yesterday that I haven't checked out yet. If I knew the noise was a common thing and not related to a possible catastrophic failure, I'd probably drive it a while as is to see just how many miles I could get out of it. I bought it for a beater and DD for my 125 mile a day commute to help keep the miles down on my 2017 F250.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
German engineering: Why use one part if 5 will do?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think they did answer your question on the noise. As far as to if you want to tackle it, check out fordmakuloco or something similar to that on youtube. He runs through the entire process of changing out the chain guides on that engine. It’s a pretty intensive job.

As far as a V8 swap, better to check the threads covering the subject for the answers you need. I don’t think it’s a direct swap but better to get it straight from those who have done than me possibly giving bad info.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just to be clear, I've rebuilt many engines over the years and seen many "engineering marvels" in the process. Nothing surprises me anymore. I have no reservations in taking on the 4.0 rebuild other than actual "want to". Would prefer a V8 swap, but if it's not a fairly plug and play process out of an Explorer, that's a problem. I just don't have time for a long drawn out build. That would likely go stagnant after a while.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The quickest fix would be buying a reman or finding a low mile used engine, if such a thing exists.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's hard to tell what the noise in your video is since it's just at idle and playing through speakers.
I had an Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC and it had a timing chain rattle that was a bit less consistent sounding than your video, but its hard to diag a noise over the Internet. My timing chain noise sounded a bit more like rocks tumbling around in a jar than a steady tick..tick noise. It was always there a little, but would sometimes get noticeably louder for brief periods. It was typically worse under load of course.

That being said, I inherited that truck with the rattle, drove it 30k miles as a winter beater, and it was still running when I traded it in. Rattle doesn't necessarily mean instant death for your engine. That was a gamble, but The truck was given to me and had lots of other mechanical issues and rust so I didn't want to spend the money for timing chains when there were so many other little things wrong with it too. It was just a cheap beater.
If an engine swap is planned, then just run the 4.0 as long as you can

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals