• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4.0 4x4 possible trans problem?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
On the way to work the other day, I started to get a pretty major shudder in the driveline. I've since noticed that it will only do it right after it has shifted gears and it's low in the RPM range, while you're applying more throttle to try to accelerate. It's a major shudder and will rock you back-n-forth in the seat a little bit. I'm thinking it's the OD band or OD apply servo piston is worn. The truck is high mileage at nearly 200,000 miles. It only does it when it's in 5th gear...

So far it hasn't throw any codes. I've done a fair bit of reading and some people have had the same symptoms with a weak coil. It will misfire when under load and at low RPM. I may go ahead and throw a new coil on it to see what happens. The coil is the original unit to the truck right now.. I've also read up on torque converter shudder, but am unsure if that's what it may be. It's never done this before.

I changed the trans filter today with a Motorcraft 4x4 unit and 4 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon V. No change, even after warmed up.

Anyone here with a good bit of insight in these transmissions have any thoughts?

GB :)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I've never had a 2-3 flare before but a long time ago I was getting an occasional 1-2 flare, but not recently..

I'm going to throw a different coil on it tomorrow, from a parts truck I have sitting around.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I had ignition coils do that once, was sure the tranny was going out.... but replacing the coils (per the advice of a mechanic) solved the problem. So.... that is a maybe.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Fingers crossed!!!

But on the other hand, I did find a somewhat local shop that seems to specialize in the 5R55 transmissions, and they perform all of the upgrades to the valve body and servo bores, all for around $1650 and $150 for a rebuilt torque converter.. so there's that...

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A possibilty.
ThrottlePositionSensor\TPS mounted on left end of ThrottleBody,
was failing\erratic a few years ago on my 2001 v6~4.0L~SOHC, caused symptoms like your describing.
PCM forced transmission into limp mode; had to drive in 2ndGear 10 miles home.
Thought I had a tranny problem; turned out to be the TPS; it's a 3wire pot that gets burnt spots in the wiper.
Several hours to figure it out, 15min & $25 to fix it.

Are you using an OBD2 scanner that will read both StandardSAE & ProprietaryFord codes?
Hope this helps.

PS: Putting basic vehicle specs in your profile+signature will help folks answer questions faster.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I only have a cheap 2-button code reader. If the coil swap doesn't change anything then I'll look in to swapping out the TPS.

Do you have to verify TPS voltage on these when swapping them out by checking the voltage at zero throttle and watch for a smooth voltage sweep when opening the throttle?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The transmission codes are all Proprietary Ford codes, maybe why you are not seeing any trouble codes. Make sure your OD OFF lamp bulb is not burnt out, so you can at least tell if any tranny codes are stored in PCM. You really need a better scanner. Their is a spec voltage range for the TPS signal, dont recall what that is though for your engine/year.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dug out my maintenance records.
For my 2001 SOHC, the TPS signal wire should read approximately 1.0v @Idle ~ 5.0v WideOpenThrottle.
The bad TPS was erratic & roughly reading 4.7v Idle ~ 5.0v WOT; so the pot was burnt thru in the lower range.
About that same time, I discovered I also had a cooked DPFE sensor on the EGR tube, so I also replaced that.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The O/D light is working and hasn't remained on. When I was road testing the truck, I pushed the switch and saw the light on the dash illuminate. The truck drives fine with O/D turned off. No shudder while shifting, which makes me think something is wrong with the torque converter lockup when the truck hits 5th gear.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good the OD OFF bulb is working;
it will blink several times when a Transmission trouble code happens.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I took it out for a test drive today, and I had read previously about someone not getting it to throw a code unless they gave it a full throttle run. So I drove it like I stole it. Sure enough, it started flashing the check engine light. Then it went out. Then on the way back home I stomped it some more because angry Hulk smash, and it flashed some more.. I hooked up the code reader and got a code for misfire cylinder 4... hmmm...

Before all of this, I had disabled the EGR temporarily with no improvement. I'd also changed the trans filter and fluid with no change. I also checked the TPS voltage and it was a normal, smooth voltage sweep and in spec. I removed and cleaned the MAF, and discovered it needs a new air filter..

After seeing the code for cylinder 4 I thought I'd pull that plug and sho nuff, it had the porcelain cracked. So I went to the parts store and bought a single plug. Installed it and still had a misfire. When I removed the plug wire, it must have broken internally, because it had zero continuity when checked with a meter. So a quick trip to my parts truck to grab a spare plug wire, and she's running like a scalded dog now.

Next project is to install new rear leaf spring bushings in the junk FR34 Softride leaf springs..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals