• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2001-2003 Ranger/B2300 Dealer support ended Need help Finding Grommet!!! URGENT

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Apparently the 2001 to 2003, 2.3 engine is no longer supported by either Mazda or Ford. One can no longer purchase intake manifold and many other parts. If you have part numbers the visuals are disappearing from sites. Not to mention that Ford and Mazda seem to be deleting part numbers from their system altogether.

There used to one a repair kit for the butterfly assembly of the intake but no longer listed at all. I was able to make a rational repair that seems to work for my intake manifold. Good luck to you all in the future unless some aftermarket group picks up the manifold or a repair kit for the butterfly assembly.

URGENT NEED:
I NEED TO FIND THE EQUIVALENT ACTUAL GROMMET FOR THE VALVE COVER BOLTS. READ ON:

I have the valve cover off. Both Mazda and Ford show that the Valve cover GROMMETS are actually bolt assemblies with the grommet, not grommets. Regardless, Ford's last cost was about $15.00 per grommet (bolt assembly) and they are not available at all even at Mazda or online anywhere.

It is possible to remove the grommet from the bolt assembly using 50% alcohol and 50% acetone soak for 12 hours. I now need to find the equivalent grommet to replace the original.

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE EQUIVALENT PART NUMBER?APPLICATION FOR THE GROMMET ITSELF AVAILABLE?

Urgent as I can not work without my truck!!!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Can you post a picture of what your looking for?

I am not very familiar with the 2.3, so it is hard to visualize. On the 4.0 valve covers they have a rubber O ring to seal the bolts to the cover, I assume that's what you are looking for.

1668635073233.png

Also, it seems fairly standard practice for an OEM to only support a design for about 10 years then start to fade production of parts. A 2003 ranger is, at this point, 20 years old. antique to some.

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
It is hard to describe so a pic is worth a thousand words. The dealers have never sold just the grommet. They have always sold the complete bolt assembly. There are two versions and maybe more than one length of bolt, not sure. BUT here are a couple pics. What I want is the RUBBER GROMMET ONLY. The assemblies are unavailable anywhere I can find (except overseas in a month or more and would cost $$$$$).
s-l500.jpg
d33fd9d33a17ecf0be8d5333f19a0386.jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Have you made sure that the same part from other years won't fit? How bout the same bolt but from a focus or something else they put the 2.3 in?

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Have you made sure that the same part from other years won't fit? How bout the same bolt but from a focus or something else they put the 2.3 in?
BOTH dealers say that there is no equivalent part number anywhere. They would be referenced throughout the system. ISSUE: there are only three years of this model in two manufacturers. All other 2.3 has plastic valve covers that year apparently.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Can you nor just use a grommet from off the shelf that fits the shank and is wide enough to seal the hole in the cover?

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Can you nor just use a grommet from off the shelf that fits the shank and is wide enough to seal the hole in the cover?
I have tried EVERY manufacturer including aftermarket manufacturers, talked with their engineering departments. Few sell vacuum carded products so I can see them at all. Almost all boxes currently state "can not be returned when opened" and ALL parts manufacturers list by application and will not reveal dimensional data. Believe me I have TRIED. I am not buying 100 sets of grommet just to look!
This is WHY Junior Level engineers should NEVER be allowed to be involved in design...NOT ever. There is NOT ANY EXCUSE for using a "new" product style for a valve cover grommet assembly! Hell these things have several designs that work EXCEPTIONALLY with cast aluminum covers. No need to start again!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What about just using an o ring?
O rings are pretty easy to get in a variety id/od and thicknesses.
Plus you can chemical, oil, water resistant ones easily as well.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Hell a 2003 would seem new to me, I drive a ‘94.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also, if this truck is mission critical.
I would simply reassemble with the old bolts/ grommets.
Use a dab of gasket maker instead.
Or whatever I could find laying around.

A truck with a leaky valve cover beats the hell out of no truck at all.

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
Look at the shape of the grommets. IT is two different diameters with one that enters into the hole in the cover (alignment) and the next seals the cover.
I have already tried to find Orings, but they do not seem to seal properly. I have considered silicon vacuum line, but inner diameter and outer diameter are too large. The cupped metal washer will not hold it in place as diameter too large.

It really seems unlikely that they created a NEW grommet just for this model. Remember that the cars of 2.3 in these years are plastic covers....totally different!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One guy took a printer and made his part, maybe you could look into something like that

Djea3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
One guy took a printer and made his part, maybe you could look into something like that
I thought of that, but....this engine runs at 275 degrees. Probably needs silicone or higher rated rubber. But you did make me think of one thing. I may be able to make a mold and mold it if I can find the hi temp silicone that will hold up.
Keep thinking guys. I really believe that this is an off the shelf grommet applied to this part! I just need to find the model.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Can you change to the plastic cover?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If parts and NOS don't have it and you're on a deadline, you can either junkyard or start trial-and-error.

If 1S7Z-6K562-AA is the assembly you're talking about, fitment on that is apparently listed thru '11, plus '04-'07 Focus, which gives you a bit more flexibility in junkyard pulls than just '01-'03 Ranger.

If I try to chase it down, I find some guys talking about trying the comparable Mazda 3i part LFBL-10-237, but I can see that's literally the example picture you posted before. Have you already eliminated that part as being close, but not exact-fit?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals