• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001+ 2.3 into a 93, low budget build

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting a free 93 Ranger, 2wd, Reg cab, 5 speed manual tranny, rear ratio unknown. Body is straight, never wrecked, but "it's been in the woods some".

The motor (he calls it a 2.0, but I am skeptical) is dead, according to the owner. Used to run last fall, but starter would freewheel where the ring gear is missing teeth (which means the tranny is coming out). He used to catch it in gear and it ran. Now it won't even do that, but I really don't care. With 275k on the odo, that motor is as good as gone, regardless whether it still runs or not.

Anyone ever put a 2001+ Duratec 2.3L into an older (93) Ranger (OBD1)and keep the OBDII operational?

I know I'll need the donor engine harness, computer, sensors, serpentine drive, (hoping to get its accessories). It's getting an electric fan. Curious if the newer PS pump is compatible with the steering rack. Surely the steering rack is the old-style, not like the rack/pinion on my 2000, but we'll see.

Hoping to get a fresher 5 speed to go with the motor as a package deal, ideally still bolted together with clutch master and reservoir. New clutch, if required. Cross-member different?

The electrical part doesn't scare me, but I'm concerned with the "gotchas" that I haven't even begun to really think about. Instrument panel may need swapped, with harnesses from the donor as well. Needing to keep an OBDII port in the cab for the Scangauge, so I'm wondering if any of the 96+ instrument panel clusters will fit? Definitely want a stock tach in that cluster.

I want to keep as much of the truck original as possible (low budget), but it does need ball joints and tie rods replaced. Figure on a new set of front brakes, new bearings and rotors, hoping the calipers are good. Haven't researched the calipers at all, but I plan on running 16" rims with low profile tires, probably 55's or 60 series, and I need good brakes. I'll consider replacing the spindles if I can mount better, but stock, calipers with larger rotors. Springs are optional, we'll see how bad they are.

I also want to swap in a 4.10 LS 8.8" rear, 28 spline is fine, but I wanted the larger diameter 10" drums, so I'll look for that at the JY. Pretty sure it's got a 7.5" (3.73?) now. Probably keep the original leafs, maybe add traction bars if it turns out to be a wheel hopper when I power shift.

This will be a DD, not off-road at all. I like the HP/TQ #'s the new generation 2.3's make and really don't want to 302 or 4.0 swap into this thing. I figure with the 4.10's and small tires, it ought to run pretty decent around town.

Anybody have any experience with the fuel system? I figure I MAY have to convert from return to returnless, unless somebody knows differently. I will get as much off the donor as I can, but I need to know what to grab. The JY won't let me take the whole donor away, strip it, then bring it back. I expect to get all the EVAP system parts to keep the OBDII happy, but don't know if that includes the plastic fuel tank. Pretty sure I'll need the modern fuel pump assembly. Should match the cluster's fuel gage.

I'll be interested to get any knowledgeable feedback on what's gonna bite me if I don't pre-plan properly.

FYI, I don't weld, so the exhaust will be clamped up, exiting before the axle. Might opt to get it welded up after it fits.

I thrive on electrical stuff, but I need 93 wiring diagrams (searching for those).

I don't forsee any show-stoppers, unless someone tells me differently.

And the wait begins.......the guy won't let me have it until he gets the bed and cab emptied out.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like fun. But that is going to be a TON of work. Any OBDII system into an OBDI vehicle is. It sounds like you are well on your way to figuring things out.

As for electronics, I've put an OBDII cluster into an OBDI car and got it to work right with some creative wiring, so the two systems can be meshed.

Do you mind if I ask why though? I mean, if you pulled the current Lima 2.3 (93's didn't come with 2.0s) rebuilt it, ported the head, bumped the compression and added a cam (all of which are not that expensive) you'd probably have about the same (if not more) power/torque than a Duratech, and not have to mess with swapping everything else right down to the fuel system.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For simplicity. I have no real experience inside any engine, let alone the desire to rebuild one. For the $$, it's easier and faster (in my mind) to just swap in the modern motor, with all the challenges.

I was "considering" a Lima donor, depending on what the JY has available, but leaning toward OBDII. Chances are, any Lima I find will be high mileage, being 7+ years old. Typical JY prices are driven by demand, so older engines are more expensive. The irony is you can get a relatively new motor cheaper, simply because there is such little demand for them- but we'll see.

The fuel system really is the one stumbling point. Still doable.

I even considered throwing a 3.0 in it, just out of familiarity. The 2.3 makes almost as much power, which should be enough for all I need it to do.

I was figuring a realistic budget of 750-900 for the whole she-bang, including whatever the front end needs. He says it's sloppy.

What do you suppose a rebuild would cost, if I did it all except the machining? Crank turned, bearings, new cam, bore/hone, rings, pistons, head truing and valve job, water pump, oil pump, gaskets + whatever else I'm not knowing? At >275k miles, it's gotta need the kitchen sink. You tell me $300-500 for all that and I'm gonna think hard about it. 1/2 the money, still runs strong? Hmmmm. Might be something new to do. Plus I'll get a new tool or two, at least a Dremel for the porting/polishing.

Won't have the truck until next week, at the earliest. I asked him again after lunch and he is "pretty sure" it's a 2.0, fwiw.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just rebuilt my 2.3 in preparation for the turbo install. Mine had 170,000 miles on it and it looked incredible inside. All I did was a hone, new bearings, new rings and new oil pump pick up. All other pieces were just fine. The crank, rods, and pistons looked like new. All I did was clean each piece and then just put it back together (except I used forged pistons out of a 160,000 mile turbo motor that looked awesome as well). My "rebuild" cost about 300 bucks and I did all the work myself. All I'm saying is that the 2.3 Lima is an incredible motor for longetivity (I've heard of a few crossing the 1,000,000 mile mark) and your's may not need "the kitchen sink". Plus I doubt you're going to get a Duratech running in a 93 for less than $1000. There's just all kinds of small parts you're going to buy that add up quick.

As for JY prices, the local junkyard here will sell any engine out of an old ranger for 50 bucks if you pull it. There is absolutely no demand for these engines as people don't replace them, they just replace the truck.

And that would be the first 93 that has a 2.0 that I've heard of.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just another thought, running the Duratech with the existing OBDI system might be a good option. That would be much easier than swapping to OBDII. The more I think about it, the more I want to try it!

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Decisions, decisions.

There doesn't seem to be many folks putting OBDII into anything pre-96.

At this point, I'm looking at all my options. Still looking for wiring diagrams for the 93. That'll answer a LOT of the questions on difficulty.

I just wish he'd tell me to come and get it already, so I can get rolling.

Wife reminded me that I have 3 "house" projects to do before I start another "vehicle" project. Silly woman. I have a Geo water pump, complete Dakota front end - BJs, tie rods, idler, and Pitman arm, and a toyota truck electrical gremlin (goes dead overnight unless I pull the Hazard/Horn fuse) )to get done before I start any more house projects, lol. She'll be gone all next week, so I can knock those out in the evenings. The Dakota will probably eat up 2 or 3 evenings at that guy's house; since he has air tools.

I appreciate the dialog. So, today the "giver" replies, oh yes, it has 8 spark plugs. So, it's a 2.3.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just rebuild the lima 2.3 it has, since you say you have no intrest in putting an engine together have a reputable machine shop do it, or just get a reman from a reputable builder. IMHO I like to reuse the engine I all ready have, unles it's too hurt to fix.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I thrive on electrical stuff, but I need 93 wiring diagrams (searching for those).

give me ur email and ill send one, just got done creating a pin-out in numerical order for a swap im gonna do, so i can send you that with the diargam if you like.

edit- oops didn't realize this was so old. haha.

Last edited:

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You arent going to do any OBD2 swap for less than a grand.

The engine and tranny for my SOHC swap alone was $800, and I am running OBD1 on the SOHC. Had I gone OBD2, I would have had to find a complete donor vehicle, which is what you would have to do. Even a totalled out 2001+ ranger is going to run you more than a grand.

You might be able to pick up an engine and tranny, Run a megasquirt, and do that on the cheaper side, but its still most likely going to cost your more than a grand.

If you want to do something cool on the cheap, Build the 2.3 that is in it up a bit. A 2.5 crank, rods, and pistons will go right into that block, or even find a 2.5 shortblock. Keep the stock cam (good for torque and mileage) put 1.89/1.59 valves in the head and do some minor chamber and bowl work. Mill the head to achieve around a 10:1 compression ratio. Put a Longtube header and decent flowing exhaust on it, along with a CAI, and youll have right around the power of the duratech, and most likely more torque. The good thing about it, is most of that stuff you can do over time, and just start out with a the longblock. Everything is a bolt in to your curet setup. The 2.3 is one of the best engines to learn on to rebuild.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals