• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger Mountaineer Swap PCM Reprogramming

Williebum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All! I'm getting together the stuff to do a 5.0 swap in my 2000 Ford Ranger. I've got a 2001 Mountaineer donator vehicle and am working on sourcing some torque monster headers and other bits and bobs.
I would really like to replace the automatic trans in the explorer with a M50DR2 out of an F-150. I know I would need to get the PCM reprogrammed in order to have the engine play nicely. My question is, where could I get this reprogramming done? I did see something about a SCT tuner but I didn't see which one and how to actually get programs for it. Apologies if this has been answered before, but ive been looking around the past couple days and maybe am not using the right search terms :p
Thanks in advance!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Unless you want to "play with" engine tuning I would suggest just paying a programmer to do the work/changes for you

Check with local Speedshops or Dyno-tune places, they will know of local Ford PCM programmers or may do it themselves

There are some that offer their services on ebay, Ford PCM programming
Just check around for prices

getting the software to DIY it can get expensive, usually 3 or 4 times the cost of having it done

You want the manual trans software loaded, and maybe PATS delete, up to you on the last one, or they can add your Ranger keys to it
And they can match VIN and odometer as far as I know

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
SCT offers something called Pro Racer Software, which allows you to tune one pcm yourself. Unless you know what you are doing, you are much better off to have a tuner do it for you. You have way less risk of destroying something, and if all you want is to remove the auto trans stuff, it will cost about the same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals