• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 3.0 Transmission mystery

vinsont70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone that can help me with this I would REALLY appreciate it. I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0 that got stuck in the mud and the tranny started slipping badly. I dropped the transmission tore it down replaced the clutches but over all the transmission looked really clean and I didn't see any damage at all. Put everything back together and the same thing. So I bought a re-man'd VB and still the same thing. I then replaced the VSS and still it slips like hell in all gears. I re-adjusted the bands just because I couldn't think of what to do next but still the exact same thing. Then bought a new TC out of desperation. I was getting an OBDII code P0743 and P0755 before the TC swap but they didn't come back after clearing them after the TC sway. The only thing left to replace would be the pump and the computer but I'm running out of money so I could really use some help.

Oh by the way, reverse will start working instantly if I crawl under the truck while it is still running and pull the computer cable. This makes me think it's computer related but I would expect 1st to work correctly also and it doesn't.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Put a pressure gauge on it. Should be 100-110 psi @ idle in gear. The reason you have reverse when you pull the connector is that the trans goes to full pressure. Betcha have a huge internal pressure leak.

SMTGREG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MGB
Engine Size
2.3 Lima
Transmission
Manual
Were there any burnt clutches or bands when you tore it down? If not I would suspect a bad front one-way clutch. When drop shifting these trans the most common failures is the input shaft or the one-way. Other things to look for is a loose center support bolt or cracked center support.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals