• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 2.5 17mpg HELP!

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have been searching for fuel economy tips and was shocked to see some of the reported mileage here! I have an '00 Ranger with a 2.5 and auto trans. that consistently get 17mpg. I have 90k on it with a brand new transmission, new plugs/wires, new fuel filter and air filter, new control arms, new bushings, new shocks, new tires and I just washed it! The service light is not on and there are no codes stored. What can I do to get the 20+ that you guys get?

Thanks in advance and by the way, new member here from SC

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome.

Should do much better than that!
Stock size tires on it? Look on the driver side door tag.
Get the axle code while you are there: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Are you babying it? Try running up in the rpm ranges more, but not jackrabbit starts. Let off the gas way before lights and coast.

I'd guess O2 sensor (upstream of cat) is shot.
Clean the throttle body, make sure all the intake connections are good (vacuum leak).
Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner.
Not sure what else to tell you. How's the idle?

Does it shift into overdrive? Should have an OD button or move the gear selector to D. Does the rpm climb? If not, perhaps that transmission is bad. Should have 4 gears total in that 4R44E. The last shift should go around 50mph or so with light throttle.

What setting do you drive in? Defrost uses the AC. Try to minimize that, use floor or vent.

Last edited:

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes on the stock tire size, I'll check on the axle code when the sun comes up. The transmission was just replaced by a very trusted and qualified shop with a reman.
I am 'babying it', I have seen that these engines do better at higher revs, also it seems taking the OD off is a good idea, I'll give these driving tips a go.
I've checked for vacuum leaks (no smoke test though) and I replaced all the rubber vacuum lines, any known trouble connections?
If the upstream O2 was shot wouldn't I get an DTC code? It does seem to have a random misfire at mid range which my shop can't find and there is a very slight rpm pulsing at idle.
As far as the MAF goes, there is a cleaner specifically for that?!?!

Thanks again and looking forward to more tips:beer:cheers

muktader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hope i can help

Have ya checked fuel trims at all?? See if there climbing at all that will tell you if you have vacuum leaks or a lack of fuel issue which can cause ths pesky misfires and definatly a surge at idle. Im not very familiar with your model year truck... does it have a intake runner system on it they help with torque??? they sometimes have a rod fall off sometimes a code sometime no codes stored. and definatly clean the throttle body and a fuel injector cleaning cant hurt with the fuel these days it can only help

best of luck

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really appreciate the reponses, usually the threads I've seen just ended up with 20 people reporting their mpg.

As for the fuel trims, I don't have a scanner tool but will check the loan a tool at a few shops.

What is an intake runner? I am really familiar with older stuff, mostly bikes, but learn quick. Unfortunately google isn't helping here.

Fuel injectors were just cleaned, not @ Jiffy Lube, but actually cleaned. I assume that they cleaned the throttle body, but I'll pull it off and check.

Thanks Again!!

Last edited:

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
are you getting 17MPG on the highway or is that mostly city driving? Are you sure your speedometer and odometer are functioning properly?

spin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
I'm convinced that these trucks/engines just don't get their advertised mileage. Mine only gets between 17-19mpg as well. Most of my driving is all highway and I drive like an old man. I'd be a little disappointed with 22mpg in this rig, but it would be better than what I have now. Mine has new plugs/wires, vacuum lines check/replaced, brakes, replaced/checked and no codes. If I can't figure mine out I will probably sell it this summer and get a s-10. Chevy rate theirs for better mileage and more power then Fords Lima 2.3

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My speedo is accurate, I have compared it to a few GPS units. The 17 is city and I know that's not terrible but it isn't what alot of you guys seem to be getting. Today I replaced my air filter, cleaned the MAF, replaced the PCV (which was original w/95k), and replaced a couple vacuum lines. I was gonna clean the O2 sensor but wow that thing is awkward to get to.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I used to get 27 mpg with my 2000 2.5. The brakes on these trucks suck. The sliding pin corrodes and sticks, causing one of the front calibers to stick and bind the pad against the rotor. Make sure your front wheels turn freely when tires are up in the air. A stuck sliding pin will drop your mileage a great deal

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now that's an excellent suggestion! My brakes are real noisy when I take off on a cold morning, they grab and moan. I've been putting it off since I bought the thing a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip!

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that's an excellent suggestion! My brakes are real noisy when I take off on a cold morning, they grab and moan. I've been putting it off since I bought the thing a few years ago.

Thanks for the tip!
If everything is stock and you're not getting at least 22-23 mpg then something is wrong with your truck.
Driving my stock truck at 65 to 70 mph always got me 23 mpg but if I drove 55-60 mph, I got as high as 27-29 mpg.

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An old O2 sensor will be lazy, switch slowly and the computer will accept it. But like he said, that'll show up in the fuel trims. I had a 2000 3.0 4wd that got better gas mileage than you are. Something is amiss.

With the price of gas being what it is, you'd save money getting a proper diagnosis. Ask around, maybe you know someone with a Scangage II or similar. There are some cheaper units that also see live sensor data and display gages. Worth the $150 or so in the long run. I hook mine up to people's cars at work all the time, at least a couple a month. They end up getting a shop to fix it half the time, but at least they walk in there knowing what the problem is by the code or sensor output values.

You never did say what your axle ratio is.

surveywaters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The axle is has a 4.10 ratio I believe. Again, I appreciate the tips on fuel trim, I'll look further into the code reader.

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The axle is has a 4.10 ratio I believe. Again, I appreciate the tips on fuel trim, I'll look further into the code reader.
mine is 4.10 so expect the mileage I pointed out above.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals