• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Mazda B2500 Electrical

simmsjeremy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So I am attempting to install a double din unit into my sons 2000 Mazda B2500. The radio that was originally in there did work, however, when using a light tester during install of the new unit the wire (yellow & black) that is described as the ignition/accessory wire has no power to it when the key is in the appropriate position. I believe this to be the main issue that is keeping the radio from powering up and working. It may also have something to do with other electrical gremlins within the vehicle. For instance, when the driver door opens the dome light does not come on, but if you open the passenger side it does. Or the fact that the OBD2 sensor does not work. Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Go here: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/interior-and-interior-electronics/

Then down to Radio Wiring Diagrams and click on that

Look up 2000 Ranger diagrams, there may be more than one, and if it doesn't match your wiring look at other years, and find one that does match

Radios have at least 3 power wires, one supplies power all the time, key on/off doesn't matter, this is to keep Clock and Radio presets in radios memory.
Then there is a Key on power wire, main power
Then a Lights on power wire
Looks like 2000 had 2 Key on power wires, fuse 20 and fuse 28

ODB2 Plug(not a sensor), gets power from fuse #17, 25amp(2000 Ranger), in cab fuse box, it also powers cigarette lighter/AUX plug, it should have power all the time, not key on/off related
OBD Readers need power from that plug in to work

Door open/closed switch on Rangers were a common issue, drivers door would be used the most so would be the one that failed first.
The door switch is a simple Ground when door is open, no Ground when closed, so if wire or switch is broken then GEM(generic electronic module) never gets the Ground signal from that door so never turns on the dome light, the "door ajar" light is also run by the same switch

Last edited:

simmsjeremy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ron thanks for the good advice it definitely gives me a direction to move in. The web link was also useful for more than just the radio too. So here's a few things I came up with yesterday.

Radio: I took all the power wires with the exception of the continuous power wire and bundled them together. Did the same for the grounds. found the illum wire and installed it accordingly. I didn't get a chance to reinstall the radio itself do to ongoing wire hunting. Will update on if it was a success once I get it back in.

OBD2: I don't have a scanner to plug in and see if it works so I was unable to test but I did check all the fuses in the cab as well as under the hood. All are in appropriate places and not blown.

Door Switch: So I pulled the driver side door panel off and discovered that the two wires (Yellow and black & black) coming off the switch were cut intentionally. I attempted to trace the other end of the wires but was not successful in locating any other cut wires. My plan is to splice into the existing wires on the switch and run a ground wire and then splice into the yellow and black wire on the GEC(not sure if that is the proper abbreviation but I am referring to the computer behind the radio).

Wiring: So when I was tracing wires I discovered only one other discrepancy and that is directly under the steering wheel behind the dash there is a gray plastic box that had originally three wires that were plugged into it. Yellow and black which is still connected and an orange and a blue wire. The orange wire and blue wire were cut from the box and spliced into the driver side speaker. Not sure why it is set up this way but was hoping someone might have some insight on it. Of note, the cigarette lighter and aux port were tested with a test light. The ground wires to each port illuminate letting me know that they are in fact grounded however the power wires to each do not illuminate when tested. I have tested each wire in all ignition positions off, acc, and running. The cigarette power wire is blue and white and the aux power wire is black and reddish.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals