• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Front End Swap

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
New here but I have a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Automatic 5 speed OHV V6 4x4. I would like to swap the headlights with blinker, grille, bumper and fog lights to 2001 Ranger. But mine has 5 bulbs. 1: High/Low beam(9007) 2: are 3157 x2 as blinker and 3: for side marker 194. For the 3157 do I tied both together and make one bulb socket. Thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure I understand the question

Ford uses a Brown wire for 12volts to all the Parking lights
In the front there can be a dual filament bulb that has a brown wire for Park filament and another color for Turn filament(turn filament is brighter than Park)
The side markers just have the one brown wire
All have a Ground wire as well, usually solid black color

Brown wire is a common wire on both sides, same wire shared, even in the rear
If you have keyless entry the brown wire comes from a Park Light Relay, so the Keyless entry module can Flash the Park Lights when locking or unlocking

The high beams share a common wire and fuse, light green/black wire, so that wire will be on both sides
Low beams each have a separate wire and fuse, specific to that side

High or low beams both go thru the Multi-function switch(turn signal stalk) before going out to the headlight bulbs

High beams are used for DRL(daylight running lights) so if you have that option then they will be on when driving but at about 70% of brightness, DRL module "pulses" the voltage to lower it and the brightness, called PWM
DRL does not go thru multi-function switch

This is the same for 2000 and 2001 as far as my diagrams show

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Right
But I don't understand your question, the wires are the wires
Park light
turn, for that side
low beam, for that side
high beam

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know the wiring part. I'm just want know what I need when I want swap parts. From this style Grille 2000 to this style Grille 2001 sorry for confusion. Just that 2000 style has 4 bulbs and 2001 style has 3 bulbs.

Ranger2000x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks RonD. I see 99offroadrngr says do this (spoiler) but would it be better if re-wire both together or still has hyper flash.
Its really easy to swap over (took me 30-40 min), no cutting or welding. you'll reuse your bolts from the header panel so you're good there. once you get the old stuff off, you'll need to pull 1 of the 2 turn signal bulbs (3157 bulb) on each side because the 01+ lights only require 1 of them per side plus the little "dummy" light which doesnt blink in the far corner. Tape the sockets you pulled the bulbs from, don't tape over the bulb because the tape will burn. once you do that you'll have "hyperflash" because its like if one of your bulbs were dead since its not connected. Pick up an "EP27" flasher/relay at autozone/advance auto/online and replace your OEM relay under the dash and it will get rid of the hyperflash.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals