• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger - 4.0 OHV - Cracked Cylinder Heads - Photos of head replacement

Bossman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Shew man those are just more expensive than I care to pay for a 235k mile Ranger.ThRanger . they do look good tho...
Yep you're paying for the supply (very few) and demand (very little) aspect there. Unocated, 18 gauge, with probably a 5/16" flange to boot.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I ended up buying the JBA 95-97 specific headers and Y Pipe that I won't be using for the old 2000 Ranger. Just so everyone knows the 95-97 specific headers will fit the 98-2000 4.0 Rangers like a glove.The only reason they say the 95-97 headers won't fit is because the stock exhaust won't bolt up on both sides to the headers. With a little modification from a good muffler shop you could easily have your stock exhaust fabbed up to fit. .The headers are 409 Stainless and I have decided to have them Ceramic coated inside and out because I drive in snow,ice and badly salted roads a lot in the winter time. I have the Stainless Y Pipe brand new and won't be using it. Hoping the truck picks up a lot of power when I finish getting g it together..!

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Schul...cN't leave you hanging. Your posts helpes me tremendously. I thought that 8-900rpm at idle was normal. That's where my 4.0 OHV is. It is running strong with the heads from King. I had a bit of an issue with exhaust leakage around the headers at the heads but that was my issue in torquing. Thee was an outlet on the headers for EGR hookup, but since I have no EGR, I solved that with a 22mm end cap. I also replaced both the O2s and am currently code free. Thank you again for all your help.
Thats great to hear. This was a really fun project for me, and I wanted to help others with my learnings.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
All,

I didn't receive notifications until today that anyone had posted here, sorry if I missed any questions or comments.

Update on the truck:
I sold it. It was too clean and low miles and ran great for me. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for and I bought it because of the opportunity. I sold it to a friend of mine's brother. I realized I never showed the final product. I cleaned the truck up more, did a bed liner, and painted both bumpers.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey man since it's been a few months how did those headers turn out are rhey working pretty good for you with no problems? How is that black coating on them holding up? I'm guessing it's just black spray paint..

Just doing my research before I start buying parts for my 2000 ranger..Having to buy heads as both of mine are cracked. Trying to find a good shop with good reviews to buy heads from. There are a few on ebay but I'm hesitant to buy them off of ebay...Gotta find headers for it also my old manifolds are junk.

Did you replace your lifters,pushrods or Rocker arms? With 235k miles on my 4.0 my rockers are showing noticeable wear on the tips but the lifters don't look to bad.

Just trying to do my research before I start buying parts.
Jeff,

Sorry I missed your post a few months back. I sold the truck (see post above), but last I heard it's still running strong. The "paint" on the headers was pretty weak, when I bashed the header in it was coming off from heating it with a torch, I didn't have a lot of confidence that they would look pretty for long, but they just gotta make the bad gas go to the right spot.

I replaced as little as I could. The engine only had 80k miles, so I wasn't as concerned for lifters, pushrods, rockers, etc. They all looked fine, and IIRC, the price to replace all of that was pretty high.

I put a link to the company that I got my heads from (King I think). I would buy those again. The shipping was quick, the packaging was good, and the parts looked to be of good quality. Obviously, I can't say how they hold up, but I sold the truck to a friend's brother, so I expect to hear when it has a major issue.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got any pictures of the headers?
I will have pics in the next week or so the header's are being ceramic coated right now and should be finished this week.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Those look way better than the ones I got. They also look easier to install.

Nice

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
They fit like a glove

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
What he said!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah you pay a price for them but I plan on having rhis truck for quite awhile for a daily driver to my work and in the winter the roads get really rough and salty so the 409 stainless and ceramic coating combined should keep them looking new for years. You can get some nice looking Stainless headers on ebay for a good price but they aren't available right now and no telling when they will be so I wasn't waiting on them..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals