• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ford Ranger - 4.0 OHV - Cracked Cylinder Heads - Photos of head replacement

Ejay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a pair from Clearwater Cylinder Head Inc, back in December. So far so good, they were new not rebuilt and were a little over $500 ,had to send the old heads back in the boxes the new ones came in.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
EJay, I saw the caption under the photo of the new heads that schul274 was using - King Cylinder Heads. Followed up and they are in my cart. These are brand spanking new, not remans. And the price for complete heads is like $600, no core charge, free shipping, 2-year warranty, 14-day money back...I'm excited :yahoo:

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is an awesome photo job and the timing for me couldn't be better. I'm about to replace the heads on my 94 4.0L. I was thinking I would have to pull the engine but after seeing your project, maybe not. Thanks for all the images. I already have questions if you have the time?
For instance where did you purchase your heads and the headers?
I've been looking at AutoZone cuz I don't know any better. Thanks in advance.
I used king cylinder heads:
https://www.kingcylinderheads.com/

I also used a full gasket kit from amazon (not the highest qualtiy) that came with head bolts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ4OJGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headers are "ebay headers" or chinese knock offs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Exhaust-Header-Manifold-98-00-Explorer-Ranger-Pickup-4-0L-OHV-Only/172329027635?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

note that it says last one. It also said last one when I ordered mine...

Also if there are forum rules against sharing this info, please let me know.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
Thanks man, appreciate the response.

I figured out the heads and have them in my cart - great find! Head gaskets and bolts should be fairly easy to obtain, but I still want to get decent replacements
Digging around on eBay last night I found some headers that looked a lot like the ones you installed but need to research a bit further. I'll check out your link on these.

It's really nice to have a path to follow -- thanks again. Still will be following your posts.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can't take credit for finding the heads. I followed this guy's youtube video as a starting point:

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. Another update.

Took the truck out today. Mostly good, but I have some questions.

Do these trucks have learned fuel trims? would having 2 dead cylinders cause it to stumble?

When I first went WOT, down low, it felt like it stumbled a little and then got better as it revved up.

I was able to take in on the highway, before it would only go to 40-45 mph before it would stumble and become undrinkable.

Wondering if the o2 sensors are roached from all the coolant. Or if a fuel filter might help the truck.

It does do a burnout.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
cleaned up the wheels and painted them this weekend. Took a lot of rust off, hit the rest with rust converter (hopefully saves them for a few more years of use).

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I've been using that rust reformer to clean up my decrepit frame and underbody. Seems like pretty good stuff even after 6 months or so.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, been a little bit. Just working through little bugs now. Had an issue with an O2 sensor, so I replaced both of those and am still working at fighting the small exhaust leaks from the headers.

Question though, my idle is ~850-900RPM. Based on searching the forums, that's a little high. When I unplug the IAC, the RPM drop way down and the engine either stalls or barely runs, so it doesn't seem like a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, been a little bit. Just working through little bugs now. Had an issue with an O2 sensor, so I replaced both of those and am still working at fighting the small exhaust leaks from the headers.

Question though, my idle is ~850-900RPM. Based on searching the forums, that's a little high. When I unplug the IAC, the RPM drop way down and the engine either stalls or barely runs, so it doesn't seem like a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

Hey man since it's been a few months how did those headers turn out are rhey working pretty good for you with no problems? How is that black coating on them holding up? I'm guessing it's just black spray paint..

Just doing my research before I start buying parts for my 2000 ranger..Having to buy heads as both of mine are cracked.Trying to find a good shop with good reviews to buy heads from. There's a few on ebay but I'm hesitant to buy them off of ebay...Gotta find headers for it also my old manifolds are junk.

Did you replace your lifters,pushrods or Rocker arms? With 235k miles on my 4.0 my rockers are showing noticeable wear on the tips but the lifters don't look to bad.

Just trying to do my research before I start buying parts.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo

Hey Schul...cN't leave you hanging. Your posts helpes me tremendously. I thought that 8-900rpm at idle was normal. That's where my 4.0 OHV is. It is running strong with the heads from King. I had a bit of an issue with exhaust leakage around the headers at the heads but that was my issue in torquing. Thee was an outlet on the headers for EGR hookup, but since I have no EGR, I solved that with a 22mm end cap. I also replaced both the O2s and am currently code free. Thank you again for all your help.

Bossman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is a cool thread. One thing I learned, apparently their is an inside joke about Red Rangers? What's crazy, that is what I plan on painting my Turbo Ranger next year, and my 96 Ranger is red.

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
It is running strong with the heads from King. I had a bit of an issue with exhaust leakage around the headers at the heads but that was my issue in torquing.
Which headers did you end up going with?

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo

JeffAllen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Shew man those are just more expensive than I care to pay for a 235k mile Ranger.ThRanger . they do look good tho...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals