2000 Ford Ranger - 4.0 OHV - Cracked Cylinder Heads - Photos of head replacement

Ejay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a pair from Clearwater Cylinder Head Inc, back in December. So far so good, they were new not rebuilt and were a little over $500 ,had to send the old heads back in the boxes the new ones came in.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

rumblecloud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
EJay, I saw the caption under the photo of the new heads that schul274 was using - King Cylinder Heads. Followed up and they are in my cart. These are brand spanking new, not remans. And the price for complete heads is like $600, no core charge, free shipping, 2-year warranty, 14-day money back...I'm excited :yahoo:

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This is an awesome photo job and the timing for me couldn't be better. I'm about to replace the heads on my 94 4.0L. I was thinking I would have to pull the engine but after seeing your project, maybe not. Thanks for all the images. I already have questions if you have the time?
For instance where did you purchase your heads and the headers?
I've been looking at AutoZone cuz I don't know any better. Thanks in advance.
I used king cylinder heads:
https://www.kingcylinderheads.com/

I also used a full gasket kit from amazon (not the highest qualtiy) that came with head bolts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ4OJGE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headers are "ebay headers" or chinese knock offs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-Exhaust-Header-Manifold-98-00-Explorer-Ranger-Pickup-4-0L-OHV-Only/172329027635?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

note that it says last one. It also said last one when I ordered mine...

Also if there are forum rules against sharing this info, please let me know.

rumblecloud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Thanks man, appreciate the response.

I figured out the heads and have them in my cart - great find! Head gaskets and bolts should be fairly easy to obtain, but I still want to get decent replacements
Digging around on eBay last night I found some headers that looked a lot like the ones you installed but need to research a bit further. I'll check out your link on these.

It's really nice to have a path to follow -- thanks again. Still will be following your posts.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I can't take credit for finding the heads. I followed this guy's youtube video as a starting point:

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys. Another update.

Took the truck out today. Mostly good, but I have some questions.

Do these trucks have learned fuel trims? would having 2 dead cylinders cause it to stumble?

When I first went WOT, down low, it felt like it stumbled a little and then got better as it revved up.

I was able to take in on the highway, before it would only go to 40-45 mph before it would stumble and become undrinkable.

Wondering if the o2 sensors are roached from all the coolant. Or if a fuel filter might help the truck.

It does do a burnout.

schul274

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
cleaned up the wheels and painted them this weekend. Took a lot of rust off, hit the rest with rust converter (hopefully saves them for a few more years of use).

4.0blue98

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
I've been using that rust reformer to clean up my decrepit frame and underbody. Seems like pretty good stuff even after 6 months or so.