• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer Axle into 2000 Ranger 2wd coil.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
OK I see that in the first post. Then FOR SURE do it correctly! Would hate to see someone punch the gas and the V8 rip the axle off of it.... :eek:

Pulling axles off a vehicle isn't fun. Been there done that swapping out springs.... do it once and save the pain of doing it again.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The desire for the 8.8 is prep for the 5.0 V8 swap and having possession of it now. The truck is a total tinker project for me.

IF I can find a ranger 8.8 junkyard axle it would be $170-200 from a pick the part, and $400, but closer to $800 if they know it has an LSD from places where they pull the part, which makes it no longer worth it IMO. However, I have yet to see a ranger 8.8 LSD in the pull your own part yards, granted I have not been looking very long. The other appealing aspect of the Explorer axle is the rear discs.

A mechanic buddy had mentioned something about the pinion crush sleeve, but I really didn’t want to put any money or work towards the 7.5.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Is the v8 coming out of the Exploder that you currently have? If so I don't think I would get rid of it till the ranger was running with that engine. No telling what parts might need to be robbed off of it, and for sure you send it to the boneyard, there's gonna be one more thing that you needed off the carcass....

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is the v8 coming out of the Exploder that you currently have? If so I don't think I would get rid of it till the ranger was running with that engine. No telling what parts might need to be robbed off of it, and for sure you send it to the boneyard, there's gonna be one more thing that you needed off the carcass....
I would keep it if I have the space, but I don’t so I have strip everything..... I have a little shed to keep all the parts, all the wiring harnesses, all the emissions, fuel senders, even the ABS pump, everything reasonably related to making the car run with no check engine lights. The only thing I’m leaving is the HVAC exept the AC lines. As I’m in CA and plan on getting the swap legalized, I know I’m going to potentially need a lot of the donor parts.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
$100 fixes any speedometer issues on 1995 and up, you do the same as Ford did, hijack any ABS sensor for speed signal and use an interface to calibrate it, Ford used GEM 1998-2000 then Computer from 2001-2011

4x4 Rangers 1993-2009 usually had 8.8" and 50+% were LSD on 4x4s, so check 4x4 rear axles
Door codes seen here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

Letter and Number, like D4 or R6 means LSD, two numbers is OPEN

car-part.com is a good resource for used parts

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The flip kit has been used with the explorer Axle to keep the springs on top. It's actually on this sight somewhere.
Just as a temporary thing it's fine but welding new pads in the correct location is always the best thing to do.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
If the Exploder is going to the boneyard (towed? trailered?), then I'd just use the old ranger u-bolts to bolt the ranger axle to it (might have to spread them a bit or drill a new hole in the existing plate, dunno). Who cares if it is spring over or spring under at that point? It just needs to be gone. No need to hook up driveshaft, brakes, shocks, or anything else.

For putting the 8.8 under the ranger, I'd borrow a welder and make some spring perches from heavy-walled tubing. Set the ranger axle on jackstands, get the perches level, and then measure the angle of the pinion flange, and the shock brackets while you're at it. Make a drawing of everything! Especially where the perches need to go. You might be able to buy spring perches, dunno, but it wouldn't seem like too difficult of a job to make them.

Now basically just figure out where the spring perches go to match with your truck, get the pinion angle the same as well as the perches being level, and tack-weld the perches on. Re-check everything!!! Weld on the shock mounts in the correct place (these are far less critical than the spring pads). The shock mounts need to be either cut off the old axle with an angle grinder, or buy new ones. The diameter of the tubes is different so you're gonna have to do a little creative work with the grinder if you want to re-use the old ones.

If it all looks good then stitch a few more weld beads, alternate sides and don't get it all too hot. Honestly the spring perches are pretty well captive so there's not too much chance of them going anywhere.

Probably an afternoon's work at most to get it all welded up and ready to go, and then you don't have to pull the (darn) thing again. Don't forget to check the pinion flanges to see if you need to swap them or frankenstein something together for the ranger driveshaft to fit the 8.8 pinion.

If it really would cost you $800 to get a decent axle from the boneyard, then there's ample budget savings to get a welder if you don't already have one.

That's what I'd do.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Different crazy idea

is there a leaf spring with more arch to stay spring under but keep the stock body height? Be it aftermarket lift leaf or OE say F150 from a specific package.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Thickness of the spring pack plus tube diameter, plus the height of the two perches. That's how much more lift you need. Guessing around 6", but that's a guess and I'm not too motivated to crawl under my truck and measure, too hot outside. You'd still need to flip the center bolt. And if the explorer pads aren't reasonably close to where the ranger pads are, then SOL on that idea.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals