• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Explorer Axle into 2000 Ranger 2wd coil.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I have a donor V8 Explorer that I need the quickest cheapest way to no-weld swap the explorer axle in to my 2.5 Ranger with the 7.5.

I will ultimately be doing the V8 swap, and I need to get rid of the roller ASAP before the wife gets too mad.

I think I can use the DJM Ranger 2010-11 Flip lowering kit as that axle is 3.25 like the explorer. https://djmsuspension.com/product/fk3010-5/ Then I would just use some 2.5 Square U bolts over the leaf packs down to the stock explorer leaf plates under the axle against the existing spring perch and mount the shocks to those (i will get the additional plate to flip around for the passenger side from the junkyard).

Am I missing anything here? also it looks like the leaf pin is offset on the U bracket, is that going to be an issue? do i need to re drill to the center or flip a different direction from the install? Or are there any flip U brackets out there that anyone knows of with multiple holes.

It seems there really isn't any "explorer" flip lift kits the same way the rangers are lowered.

Ultimately I will revisit a welded fix at a later date once the V8 swap is ready to go in, I just don't want to lose this axle while I have it.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’ve read that, that’s for lowered application. Trust me I would not have asked had I not looked through there or exhausted google searches...

Sorry if it was not clear, I want to stay “stock” height or axle under springs.

Kinda like this

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I want to look at the issue in the original post from a different angle for a second.

Have you considered taking your time on the axle deal, doing it right, and getting rid of the wife instead of the roller?

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
You're gonna need springs with a LOT of arch if you don't want the truck lowered. Basically the difference between where the spring pad is on the top of the ranger axle, and the bottom of the exploder axle.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don’t understand why lowered flip kit, would not “raise” the explorer axle to stock height on a ranger.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I want to look at the issue in the original post from a different angle for a second.

Have you considered taking your time on the axle deal, doing it right, and getting rid of the wife instead of the roller?

I want my garage back ASAP as I can’t get any functional cars in it and it is blocking other things from coming out of the garage.

I don’t care what happens to the Expo, as long as it rolls when I put the ranger axle in it spring over axle.

So my time and use of my garage is something I’m willing to pay twice for....

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
You're not raising or lowering the axle (the wheels do that). You're raising or lowering the ranger. Put the springs under the axle, the ranger sits lower. You can't raise the body of a spring under any other way than (more) spring arch, or lowering the mounting points of the spring.

Plus you have to flip the centerbolt on the spring when going from spring over to spring under, etc. In the long run a lot less trouble to get someone to weld perches on the correct side. There's no reason to run spring-under on a ranger, unless you want to lower it, or are running huge amounts of power and are trying to control springwrap on accelleration.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m just trying to keep my truck looking the way it is.... With the axle under the springs.

I don’t want to lower the truck, I understand the wheels change the diff height and over or under is changing the body height.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Huh? If you already converted your truck to a spring under, then the only thing that matters (as far as attaching the springs) is the center-to-center distance between the holes in the spring perches, vs. the Exploder axle. You'd have to figure out the shocks, sway bar (if any), where to route brake lines and cables, and so on.

Likewise putting the ranger axle (assuming it is already spring under) on the explorer.

Edit: I looked at the 'flip kit' you referenced. If you're trying to use it in the opposite way, then you had best call those folks and see what they think. Looks kinda half-assed to me, but that's just personal opinion by someone who hauls pretty heavy stuff once in a while. Not sure how much I'd trust it.

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I want to stay spring over, not go to spring under like the explorer.

I mean, I guess it would just give me the easiest Cali lean ever....

It’s totally half ass, I wasn’t trying pretend it was the right way.

The truck isn’t a daily nor to I carry or tow heavy things

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Keep looking for a 2010/2011 Ranger with rear disc brakes, I assume thats the only reason for the swap, because V8 is never going to break an 8.8" Ranger axle with under 32" wires on it, and Ranger 8.8" can be got almost anywhere

If you have the explorer axle then sell it and use that money for a ranger 8.8", or put it up for trade in the forum

You are trying to do something that just does not need to be done unless you wanted to lower the Ranger, and you don't

TSR85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
But doesn’t the 2010/11 missing the VSS / ABS tone ring on the carrier create their own issues when swapping.

The other reason is the truck has developed significant ring gear lash play.... it’s annoying with on and off throttle in traffic as the truck is currently manual.

Pre 10 ranger 8.8 can be had in most junk yards, I see them all the timethe problem is they are all open or gone by the time you get there if it was LSD.

I can’t just sell the expo axle as I need an axle for it to be able to roll.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
I don't know what "ring gear lash" is but if you are getting a big 'clunk' when accelerating / decelerating that sounds like a pinion crush sleeve getting beaten a little shorter, generally speaking. If that is the case then it shouldn't be all that difficult to fix, without screwing with the ring/pinion lash/tolerances. Hopefully.

Anyway I thought about this a little more, and other than rolling it around in the yard, or making a one-way trip to the junkyard, I would NOT be screwing with the hokey spring-over/spring-under thingie. Yeah I'm sure some people run them to cruise around town, but.....

What they are giving up, is the positive, solid location of the spring via the centerbolt head fitting into the hole in the spring perch. THAT is what keeps the axle where it needs to be, front to back, and side to side. Eliminate that and the only thing positioning the axle is the u-bolts. Plus, when you go to spring under, the only thing taking the weight of the vehicles, is the u-bolts, as well. They had better be hell for stout. Go around a corner with much of a load in the bed, and hit a pothole, and guess what is taking all the shock/strain? The u-bolts.

Plus if the two sides aren't located exactly the same, then that may make for some really screwy alignment/handling. Taking a guess here, it may not be as critical as I'm imagining.

Why do you think you even need an 8.8" in a 4 cylinder Ranger? The axleshafts are the same in the majority of the 7.5 and 8.8 rears (28 spline) and if you don't tow or haul heavy loads, you aren't going to wear out / break a 7.5 rear end. I've had.... let's just say a LOT .... of weight in the bed of my 97 8.8 / 28-spline truck on many occasions, and although the springs were pretty trashed after a few years of using it for construction, there was never a problem with the axle housing or axleshafts. The main advantage of the larger ring gear on the 8.8" is that you can run lower gear ratios without the pinion getting too tiny. Rock crawler? Sure. Daily driver? Just dragging around extra weight. I don't know if there is any difference in the housing of the Ranger 7.5 and Ranger 28-spline 8.8s, but someone will. Anyway a moot point if you are just using the truck for a DD.

Personal opinion. Sell the Exploder for what you can get if you don't need any other parts, and be done with it. Believe me I thought about doing the Explorer 8.8 swap, but for all the use/abuse the truck has put up with, I kinda doubt it is really necessary. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, if you really want to. But do it right if you are going to.

My opinion.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Why do you think you even need an 8.8" in a 4 cylinder Ranger? T
I think he is planning a v8 swap in the future.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals