• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Camshaft synchronizer still squeaking after replacement

Tally99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I recently used some of the guides on this forum to replace my camshaft synchronizer, but it still makes a chirping/squeaking/chattering noise when I accelerate on the highway. After reading some more threads, my hunch is that it isn't oiled enough. I wound up not installing the new one in the exact orientation the original one was in, so could this be causing an issue? If it isn't fed with oil from that small hole on the side of it, what's the best way to lubricate it? Would I need to pull the whole synchronizer assembly out of the engine?

Also, is it possible that I just got a bad replacement part? I splurged on a motorcraft one from amazon, so I feel like this isn't the case, but I figured I should ask if any of y'all have had this issue.

Lastly, can a bad camshaft synchro cause the oil pressure gauge to flutter when I'm at a stoplight? I think I read something about that, but I'm not sure.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98, I just take the top off the CPS once a month or so, use a small syringe to squirt some oil down it, put the top back on and motor on. Mine is nearing 177,000 miles and doesn't make a peep. I run 20w-50 oil , and that's what I squirt down the sensor, since it will end up in the crankcase eventually anyways.

Tally99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Gotcha. I'll definitely start doing that as a maintenance item.

I wound up getting a napa brand part because the reviews on o'reilly's website indicated that their synchronizers broke catastrophically, causing engine damage, and the ones from autozone would take a while to get in. I figure most of these are probably made at the same factory, just with a different name slapped on the box. Hopefully this one will work better. I think it will, since it had a lot less play both axially and radially, and it felt a bit stiffer to turn. Also, I think I got the housing position right this time, so it should be receiving more oil, even though it's just splash lubrication.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I use NAPA more than any of the others. Aside from the fact it's closer than the others, 1.5 miles away, I've just had better luck with their parts as compared to Vato Zone, SloReilly's or Advance Auto.

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Please guys, what are your experiences with the 3.0l engine? Lot of folks say it's a bad motor and all that.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Please guys, what are your experiences with the 3.0l engine? Lot of folks say it's a bad motor and all that.
The engine is very reliable, just not a great match for a truck. The power band it higher up in the RPM range. So it feels weak and slow as a result.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I like mine. I recently had the rear gear ratio changed from 3.73 to 4.10. Helps get the engine rpms up there quicker. Also had a shift kit put in the auto trans. Very firm shifting without being neck-snapping. Mine has had a MAC cai on it since practically the second week I owned it, way back in 2000. Hood has two scoops directly over the filter, feeding it cold air. Muffler was deleted years ago in favor of two Heart throb polished stainless steel "mufflers" that look like straight pipes. Then the baffles blew out of them back in 2015. So they are straight pipes now. Even though it's an automatic, I manually shift it more often than not, to help keep the rpms up there where the engine likes it. I keep OD off quite a bit as well, even with the 4.1 gears. I generally only turn OD on when over 50 mph. This with the 4.1 gears, the truck is very responsive.

Previously with the 3.73 gears, the truck wasn't very good at 80 mph. Now, with 4.10s, it's still pulling at 80 mph. I had it to 100 the other day, and it got there way easier and faster than it ever did with the 3.73 gears. Still felt like it wanted to go faster. I didn't. LMAO!

I have an 07 4.0 Mustang. The way my 3.0 is now, I consider them to be fairly equal. The Mustang will soon have a five speed stick though. Damn 5R55 trans has gone out on it twice this year, the last time after a complete bottom up rebuild. I want it out of there.

Pic below, the center scoop has 30 1.5 holes underneath it, all over the intake manifold, throttle body and five of them run along the steel tube connecting the MAF to the throttle body. The two small scoops are directly over the large Spectre stainless steel mesh cone filter. The heat vents are fully functional, and the heat that exits them is considerable, even just idling. I've been reading up on them, and it ends up that if you put a small spoiler in front of them, they are even more functional. You have to break up the airflow overtop of them, which then allows the high pressure underneath to exit easier. May be doing that soon. Oh, if I thought that intake was loud before, you ought to hear it with those hood vents in place! I can hear the intake over the no muffler exhaust easily when my foot is on the floor.

Attachments

Last edited:

NIGERIAN RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I like mine. I recently had the rear gear ratio changed from 3.73 to 4.10. Helps get the engine rpms up there quicker. Also had a shift kit put in the auto trans. Very firm shifting without being neck-snapping. Mine has had a MAC cai on it since practically the second week I owned it, way back in 2000. Hood has two scoops directly over the filter, feeding it cold air. Muffler was deleted years ago in favor of two Heart throb polished stainless steel "mufflers" that look like straight pipes. Then the baffles blew out of them back in 2015. So they are straight pipes now. Even though it's an automatic, I manually shift it more often than not, to help keep the rpms up there where the engine likes it. I keep OD off quite a bit as well, even with the 4.1 gears. I generally only turn OD on when over 50 mph. This with the 4.1 gears, the truck is very responsive.

Previously with the 3.73 gears, the truck wasn't very good at 80 mph. Now, with 4.10s, it's still pulling at 80 mph. I had it to 100 the other day, and it got there way easier and faster than it ever did with the 3.73 gears. Still felt like it wanted to go faster. I didn't. LMAO!

I have an 07 4.0 Mustang. The way my 3.0 is now, I consider them to be fairly equal. The Mustang will soon have a five speed stick though. Damn 5R55 trans has gone out on it twice this year, the last time after a complete bottom up rebuild. I want it out of there.

Pic below, the center scoop has 30 1.5 holes underneath it, all over the intake manifold, throttle body and five of them run along the steel tube connecting the MAF to the throttle body. The two small scoops are directly over the large Spectre stainless steel mesh cone filter. The heat vents are fully functional, and the heat that exits them is considerable, even just idling. I've been reading up on them, and it ends up that if you put a small spoiler in front of them, they are even more functional. You have to break up the airflow overtop of them, which then allows the high pressure underneath to exit easier. May be doing that soon. Oh, if I thought that intake was loud before, you ought to hear it with those hood vents in place! I can hear the intake over the no muffler exhaust easily when my foot is on the floor.
I wished I had some cash to just swap another engine V8 in there. Couple be a 5.0l V8 Ford, or Ls on Chevy engines. I hate cars without having an immediate response when throttling

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals