• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 4.0 swap

gregorious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, so I have an '89 Bronco II 2.9l with 235/75r15 tires, which really bog it down, and I'd like some more power. My friend recently rolled his 2000 explorer and is willing to sell it for me $300. The roof is trashed, but everything under is fine. I've heard of people putting 4.0s in BII's, but never this new of a motor. How hard would it be with this year of motor? I am willing to put as much time and effort as it takes. I also want to pull the coils and leafs off of it, as mine are shot and a little lift would be nice. How much work am I looking at? Is there anything else I should rob off of it? Thanks guys

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
you need a gen 2 dash.

Beachbuggy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd say the motor alone is probably worth the $300, the swap however is not the easiest (wiring is completely different and you have PATS to deal with) and the suspension is completely different- the rear leafs "might" work, but the fronts- nope. 1991-94 would be easier and you can buy them for $4-600 all day from www.iaai.com or www.copart.com. Just my $.02

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can swap the engine using a early Ranger 4.0 OHV (old engine) wiring harness. However, you're going to have interference with the engine hitting the heater blower box. One guy has suggested maybe using a body lift to resolve that problem but I don't believe anyone has actually tried it yet.

This is the guy who used a newer SOHC 4.0 with the older engine harness (Project El Taco).

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258&highlight=el+taco

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals