• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 4.0 exhuaust

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, it won't work as far as I know, there was a change in 1998 in the 4.0l manifolds

An exhaust shop should be able to install pipes in place of the Cats............as long as Cats are removed and you just bring them the "Y" and ends with length needed between them, i.e. the length of removed Cats
And its for Off-road use only of course

Exhaust shops can get $25,000 fines for removing Cats and not reinstalling new Cats
But they can repair exhaust pipes that have no Cats, i.e. custom exhaust systems

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm. I wonder what could be different. Perhaps somebody who has experience in the aforementioned subject can answer. I mean, the block width is the same…

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Same engine, 1990-2000, the 4.0l OHV, VIN X, the 3.0l OHV "Y" of same year were the same
The head exhaust ports and exhaust manifolds were resigned for 1998 to get faster Cat warm ups

There are no longer "Ford" parts available just 3rd party, so if the non-Cat Y fit 2000 Ranger 4.0 the seller WOULD certainly include that, they are not trying to limit sales, lol

This one with Cats is $175: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184773532054?hash=item2b055c5996:g:YL0AAOSwnNFgBbNj&fits=Year:2000|Model:Ranger|Make:Ford
These would NOT work for Calif vehicle, no stickers, just for others that may read this down the road

Working Cats can not effect performance only broken ones can
You will also have the issue if rear O2 sensor always setting a code if you delete the Cats, just a heads up

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am prepared to deal with codes and lights. My 94 and my 95 F150s throw codes for no cats. My 02 F150 (4.2) had an emissions delete too. All vehicles' were clean and not discolored. I guess I will order some parts and post back about my success or failure with the 4oh...

tpsandor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am prepared to deal with codes and lights. My 94 and my 95 F150s throw codes for no cats. My 02 F150 (4.2) had an emissions delete too. All vehicles' were clean and not discolored. I guess I will order some parts and post back about my success or failure with the 4oh...

Did you have any success with the 93/94 Y-Pipe on the later model Ranger ? I'm looking to do the same on an '05

jerkyboyxiii

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My son's Ranger needs exhaust work. I want to delete the cats. Will a y pipe for a 93-94 y pipe fit my application (AP Exhaust 93102 AP Exhaust Y-Pipes | Summit Racing)? Will this intermediate pipe work (AP Exhaust 38671 AP Exhaust Intermediate Pipes | Summit Racing)? I have searched the net for interchangeability info to no avail...

My eighth VIN digit is an X, btw...
I never did the mod. It was for my sons truck, n he decided he didnt want to screw w the exhaust. If you wouldnt mind, plz post your success or failure.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals