• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 3.0 won't start

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Ok I'm pretty stumped with this one. The truck is a 2000 3.0 auto extended cab 4x4. I bought it tues. It fired right up and drove onto my trailer. It again fired right up when I unloaded it Weds. Now It won't start. It cranks over fine. Fuel pump runs. I have good pressure at the rail. I've changed the coil pack, the crank sensor and the cam sensor. All these parts I removed from an extra 99 3.0 I have that "ran all the way to the scene of the crash." I've got spark. It will NOT even try to fire on starting fluid. If I pump the gas like its and old carb vehicle it will try to fire almost like its outta time. I coughs out the intake but never actually fires. You can smell the raw fuel comming out the exhaust. I tried swapping computers with the one from the 99 but it wasn't any better. I also did the disconnect the battary for 5 min trick and nothing changed. I'm starting to thing it jumped a tooth on the timing chain but I find that hard to believe being it only has 134K on it and I was only moving it in my driveway. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stevorocks

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have you run a compression test? how do the spark plugs look?

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Plugs look fine other than they are covered in fuel. I doubt its a compression issue. It ran fine the day before. Started right up without any issue. I don't think It broke rings or a valve sitting in my driveway over night.

BlueOval2003

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guy you've got it narrowed to compression and timing its not so likely its the timing chain or compression, what's more likely is the cam synchro shaft is the problem. There's plenty of threads on here about it and its not uncommon to see them fail around your mileage if i was you i would pull it and see how it looks.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright guy you've got it narrowed to compression and timing its not so likely its the timing chain or compression, what's more likely is the cam synchro shaft is the problem. There's plenty of threads on here about it and its not uncommon to see them fail around your mileage if i was you i would pull it and see how it looks.
Timing is set from he crankshaft position sensor, not the camshaft position sensor. You can unplug the camshaft position sensor and it will run.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just thought I'd update to what the issue was. I checked compression it was good. I pulled the timing cover and the chain was fine too. So I then decided it had to be a wiring or computer issue. In the process or checking things I found out the truck is a flex fuel version. So I assumed that the issue had somethign to do with the flex fuel sensor. I sold the truck as is to a guy on craigslist. He was confident he could fix it. Well after over a month of messing with it he finally got it to run. Heres the history to what happened. When I got it it had a CEL for a coil pack misfire. When it wouldn'e start the first thing I did was chang the coil pack with a known good one from a running 97. Well after I sold it to him he checked everythign like I did, had it a Ford to get the computer reflashed. Checked numerous other things and out of despiration one night he changed the coil pack because he hadn't done that. It did have spark the whole time though. With a new to it coil pack it fired up. The only thing we can come up with is that coil packs are different from a flex fuel to a regular. The firing order is the same and the plugs are identical. Has anyone else ran into this problem or is he full of BS?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's very possible that the '97 coil pack failed once it was installed into the 2000. Stranger things have happened....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals