• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

200 inline 6 ranger

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So i have an extra motor that i want to do something with... so why not find a 1st gen ranger to be its home. its an old 200 inline 6 that came out of my fairmont. i think it would be cool to have it as a 4wd because with the torque from the inline motor should come in handy, motor mounts might be a bitch, probably have to make some...

any ideas? has it been done?

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My thought is damn...I know people squeeze V8 in there, but while the V8 adds more cylinders, the block is only a cylinder deeper. An inline six, that is like hella long block there. I have no idea if the length can be squeeded in there.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been brought up several time down in the engine swap area, other engines. Any straight six is too long in most cases.
Dave

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can be done, but it gets into modding...specifically adding 3-4 inches to the front, unless you want to build a special radiator and fan with a cutout for the overhang. Course, you could sacrifice bed space and mount it in the bed, with a covered/enclosed chain drive to the rear differential. The only limit is your imagination. I've always wanted to see someone use a little of the bed space to mount an electric motor and drive and batteries. I think a silent electric mini-truck would be a gas to have.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My thought is damn...I know people squeeze V8 in there, but while the V8 adds more cylinders, the block is only a cylinder deeper. An inline six, that is like hella long block there. I have no idea if the length can be squeeded in there.
The V8 adds enough length to make things interest on its own. Either have to push the radiator under the support or run Explorer (or some other compact) front belt system.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
It's difficult to do without "doghousing" the firewall. I tried it with a 4.0L Jeep engine I had around, I ended up putting a 302 in it. I could do it now, but at the time it was beyond my skills.

As much as I hate to say it, but I6 swaps kinda fall into the category of "if you have to ask, you shouldn't be trying it". There's a lot of cutting, you'll need to be able to weld sheet metal, and make sure things still have structural integrity. ESPECIALLY if you have any intention of putting any sort of road mileage other than to/from trails on the vehicle.

Doable, but requires skill and a plan.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
There is a wright up about a 300 6 swap

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input! I knew the radiator would have to be moved and I found that someone from my town did it, I'll ask what all he did ad post

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
a lot of work for a 100 hp.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals