• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2" vs 3" body lift, why the different pricing?

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
For Bronco II's and several Ranger models the 2" costs more than the 3", by as much as $40. Anybody know why the difference is? I'm mainly referring to the Performance Accessories lifts listed on the TRS Fab and Offroad site but I've seen it elsewhere as well.

I'd like to put a body lift on my BII but I would prefer a 2" to limit the gaps as much as I can, don't feel like it should cost $40 more to get less lift.

BSU541

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6 from an '02 Ranger.
Transmission
Manual
Good question.... I'm going to get a BL lift in a couple months and would also prefer a 2 inch one for the same reason, but I was asuming the 2 inch lift would be cheaper. I guess I'll go 3'' if it's not.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
it's probably because of 3" lifts are more popular... it might even be the material that it's made out of. there are many reasons but unless you have them sitting in front of you to compare it's just that extra inch.

I'd go with the 2" 'cause I did a 3" on my old '89 and it stretched the poop out of the body wiring harness.

and the gaps were ridiculously ugly looking.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
probably because the 2" doesn't require a steering extention?? And the 3" does??

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm pretty sure all body lifts for the ranger require a steering extension... i could be wrong though. Although, most of the body lifts i've seen the 2" are cheaper by about $15

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
I didn't use a steering extention..... or did I??? you know what, I think it came with my kit... it was only and inch, so the 2 inch probably doesn't need one.

beaujt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Well if the 2" doesn't need a steering extension i would just shell out the extra money and put it on instead... but i personally don't think i'll ever put a body lift on my truck just cause i don't like the gaps.

I did find a 2" body lift for $155... check: http://www.accuautoparts.com/ hope it helps...

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if the 2" doesn't need a steering extension i would just shell out the extra money and put it on instead... but i personally don't think i'll ever put a body lift on my truck just cause i don't like the gaps.

I did find a 2" body lift for $155... check: http://www.accuautoparts.com/ hope it helps...
Your sig says different...

Plus, you can do a suspension lift for CHEAP!

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Plus, you can do a suspension lift for CHEAP!
to an extent...about 2". To get 4" is pretty much an automatic $800+ by the time it's all said and done (and with a quality kit).

The cheapest way to get 4" of lift is a 2" suspension lift with shackles and spacers and then a 2" body lift.

I got my transmission back into the truck, so I'm not so seriously looking into body lifts now (was having trouble getting it between the y-pipe and tunnel)...plus there's another thread where it's suggested that I might be able to fit 31's with just the 2" suspension lift. I'd rather not do a body lift if I don't have to. My suspension appears less rusty than my body mounts.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
WOW...it's been a while since I've looked at TTB lift prices.....4" was about $500, 6" was about $600....shoot....my 4" runs $1500-1700....damn control arm torsion front end.

IRKillroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Semper Fidelis
yeah but those lifts use drop brackets... not a great idea for REAL off-roading.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just bought the 2" kit and a body mount kit at the same time. my kit came with the steering extension. i also got the shifter extension just in case i missed figuring out which tranny i had. got mine for just over $100 by shopping online. the body mount kit was another $60. should have it on in a couple of weeks. still wanting to be winter up here in northern Minnesota! :annoyed:

hank460

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I am new here and am restoring a 85 ranger I pulled out the 2.8 v6 I had one before it just seemed weak I am going with the 2.3 i know it might be weaker but I like those little motors the 2.3 is out of an 83 different throwout bearings one external one internal slave cylinders can i just change to an 85 2.3 bellhousing and go with the internal cylinder I am planing to do a body lift to run some 31" tires I am thinking about a 2" lift so the shifter won't be so low and the steering won't be on such an angle could anyone tell me if I am on the right track thanks

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i'm very happy with the 2" lift on my '83. didn't need extensions for the shifter or the steering column. i know i can get 31" tires under it without any problems, but any taller would require some additional fender trimming or additional lifting.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
buy the 3" and cut them down an inch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals