• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l wont start

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So I dragged my other 1990 ranger out of what's been it's grave for the last two years next to the oak tree in my back yard :headbang: It lost oil pressure when warm so I parked it and have not touched it since. Now I have a new engine to put in so I am trying to revive it. But before I go through all the work of swapping engines I at least want to make sure it will still drive. Therefore I'm trying to get the old engine started.

It started just fine when I parked it 2 years ago, but it just cranks now.

Things I've verified:
All fuses are good.
The fuel pump runs when the key is turned on.
I've got 35 psi fuel pressure at the rail, and holds steady during cranking.
I've got good spark at least on number 1 and 5 (the two I held the plug against the block while cranking and watching the spark).
Generally, all the electronics (head lamps, buzzer, etc) seem to work good.
I've got the plug wires on in the right order: 14-25-36

Things I've tried:
New battery (old one was dead as a doorknob)
Cleaned and gapped spark plugs.
Wire brushed all terminals on the cap and rotor.
Different TFI module
Different EEC from a 1990 2.3 ranger (I know it's a different engine but the starting functions are all the same)
Three different ignition coils.
Tried twisting the dizzy about 30 degrees in either direction in 5 degree increments while cranking.
Starting fluid through the throttle body.

I'm kind of stuck on this one. Anyone else have some ideas?

Last edited:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Didn't even sputter with starting fluid?

Odd. Exhaust clogged with mice nests?

2 years, gas is gotta be crappy. But it should fire with ether.

loneranger48

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L of FUry!
Transmission
Manual
just a thought but maybe the inertia switch got flipped somehow.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well all I managed to get done wednesday night was blow the battery up. Yes, with battery schrapnel flying everywhere. I didn't even know they could do that. I guess it has something to do with overcharging when it's too cold (was about 5-10 degrees that night in my garage).

I did get about half way through the TFI diagnostics and everything looks fine so far. Saturday is the next day I have time to work on it, so we'll see how far I get then...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well I got a new battery in it. It now spits, sputters, and pops pretty good when you crank it, but still won't start. And I verified that it is blowing air out of the tail pipe at a pretty good rate, so I've eliminated the mice nest theorey.

I also verified that the physical timing of the distributor is correct. The crank mark is at #1 TDC when cylinder #1 is, along with the rotor pointing at #1, so it should be right around 0 degrees base timing (not 10 degrees per spec, but good enough to start).

I also verified that the fuel injectors are opening when they should.

The only thing I can think of is that the TFI module is messed up, even though I've tried three different modules (none of them have come from vehicles I've heard run though). It just really sounds like the timing is all off.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got it running... Turns out whatever dipstick put the engine together last time put the damper on 120 degrees off so when the damper lines up at TDC, it's really 120 degrees before TDC.... which means that the #1 wire goes on the #3 terminal, the #2 on the #1, the #3 on the #1 and so on and so forth. The funny thing is that the rotor also points at the #1 terminal when the damper is at TDC. So something is goofy inside. I now understand why it doesn't have oil pressure... the idiot who "rebuilt" it couldn't even get the crank lined up with the cam apparently. The funny thing is that it somehow runs.

How did I figure this out? Well, the guy did manage to scratch a "1" into the #3 terminal on the cap.... it's just a good thing I didn't try replacing the cap!

DisturbedMXer8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wow, nice man. Very interesting...

At this point, if I were you and I had the time/tools/ability to, I'd pull that engine out and assess it myself. Do it the right way from the start, make sure everything is how it has to be, that way you don't run into more crap later on. Then again, it's much easier said than done =P.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got it running... Turns out whatever dipstick put the engine together last time put the damper on 120 degrees off so when the damper lines up at TDC, it's really 120 degrees before TDC.... which means that the #1 wire goes on the #3 terminal, the #2 on the #1, the #3 on the #1 and so on and so forth. The funny thing is that the rotor also points at the #1 terminal when the damper is at TDC. So something is goofy inside. I now understand why it doesn't have oil pressure... the idiot who "rebuilt" it couldn't even get the crank lined up with the cam apparently. The funny thing is that it somehow runs.

How did I figure this out? Well, the guy did manage to scratch a "1" into the #3 terminal on the cap.... it's just a good thing I didn't try replacing the cap!
It maybe that the dampener or harmonic balancer has slipped....there is a rubber mating the inner hub to the outer hub.

or the timing chain was put on wrong

Good work on your part none the less.

also try a new/different MAP sensor

Last edited:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The plan is to take that engine out and put a different one. The new engine is going to have its lifters, heads, and cam bearings replaced before going in though, as those seem to be the weak spots in the 2.9L.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals