• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L w/ MegaSquirt to 4.0L w/ Ecumaster Black and a Turbo build

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
I sent message to Comp Cams... No reply for 3 weeks (I was busy, so did not follow up - I think I need to give them a ring).
Fall is coming to my location, so having probably one of last warm and sunny days I went for it and painted by block.
3 different paints there. Wash Primer (with anti corroding additives), acrylic primer and acrylic paint in color. Should last for some time. All properly cleaned and sanded before applying the paint.
My kid was picking up the color from the ones on the shelf (orange, yellow, navy blue, dark grey, black, light grey and the one on the photo).
Looks nice and should match nicely the color of the car (orange). And no-one would tell me it's Hemi Orange or so :D

Few parts (main bearings, con-rod bearings, head gaskets...) are still on the ship from the US.
I was trying to sort out a hotter cam locally, but due to that gear on the cam the cost of the cam here is like twice what comp cams asks...

Anyway hope to start some deburring of the block when the paint is fully dry. Then proper cleaning... Just this damn hot cam now... Being that far with that engine build leaving the stock used cam is a no-go IMHO.

IMG_1140.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_9384.jpg
IMG_9384.jpg

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
Just had a chat with a sales rep on Comp Cams info line... No good news. With the current situation in the market they are only focusing on high volume products that they order from their suppliers. This basically means the 4.0L cams were available in march and since then out of stock and no idea when they will become available.
Options I got is order and wait, no-one knows how long, or find other supplier :-/

When talked to local grinding company they told me they are afraid to modify the existing cam by grinding it, as they don't know how it is hardened (heat treated / nitrided).
They told me they can try if I get one spare stock cam for trial and error. This would require though longer pushrods to add extra length for the material removed from the cam for the grind (should be good with my adjustable version from 2.8L adopted to 4.0L).

At the same tame due to this fancy gear for the distributor / CPS building one from scratch is super expensive (like $800 at the moment).

I asked also Comp Cams if they have any of the IP from Crane Cams, and they have nothing, zero catalogs, nada. :-(

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
I’ve seen that, on Comp Cams website it’s „available soon”. So just in case I phoned them (Comp Cams) to confirm… All of the suppliers claim they ship fast directly from manufacturer (Comp Cams) so if Comp Cams claims not any soon, Nov 8th is not in the real range…

Maybe someone can phone Summit or Jegs to cross check? Overseas Phone calls for me when I had to wait for 15 minutes in queue for my turn don’t urge me to do it again🤣

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
So I'm still trying to figure out the proper cam and where to get it from.
Just checked and emailed these guys:

I see that Melling and Enginetech make cams for 4.0 as well, but in stock characteristics only :-(

My "local" grinding company told me that if I give them cam for testing, they can see if they can regrind it and nitride it properly.
I'd need longer push rods though (I hope my 2.8L conversion to manually adjustable rocker arms would help here).
Looking for a used cam for tests in Poland at the moment...

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
Finally some good news. Talked to Camcraft Cams and they can grind me anything I need woohoo :yahoo:
They have blanks available, so basically anything I want is in reach. I just need to think about the profiles I want.
They told me those 2 grinds available on their website are rather conservative, as these are designed for guys leaving the ignition stock.
But as I will be running standalone, the ignition is not the case and we can go really HOT :D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
I just wonder if 340lbs for springs is not to much. This engine won't rev like to really high RPMs, so I don't expect valve float to happen.
Stock spring is around half of that, right?

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 20.48.19.png

konrad911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Capri
Transmission
Manual
Believe or not, the cam "just" arrived last week at my place.
This means things needs to start moving now.

No more excuses for not doing the deburring of the crank or the block ha ha.

Things to note, as I will use the late (latest before SOHC) crank with 8 bolts for the flywheel I also need to change the timing chain "set". So the cam and crank sprockets as well as the chain itself as it's different (wider). I got the crank with the sprocket and it won't fit the earlier (non woodroof) setup. Pitty I did not pursue that change earlier as I would have that in the package with the cam and other stuff I ordered few months ago...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals