• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l vs 2.9l cosworth 24v engine swap

furnituremkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
recently I have come a cross a ford mecur Scorpio w/ the 2.9l cosworth 24v donor engine still in the car with the ecu I was thinking about swapping it in to my 1988 ranger super cab xlt wanted to keep the smaller V6 but gain more power any thoughts on the issue. thanks any input would be appreciated

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
the north american market scorpio uses the same 2.9 as the one in your truck, the intake plenum is different but that's about all, there is a 1-2 hp gain that can be had in swapping it but it's not really even worth your time to make it fit and work

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
if it's a cosworth, its not a north american spec car. from what i hear the cosworth 2.9 is a dohc that makes somewhere in the 190hp range. definitely worth the time if not for the 'cool factor' alone. i cannot say how easy/difficulty the swap would be though. if it will accept stock motor mounts and a stock clutch and trans (or 4.0 trans) i say go for it!

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
I am not sure about the fit but I know it Definitely has the COOL factor, I would love to see some pics. if you decide to do it.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah!

DO IT! If I had such a chance I'd be in there twisting wrenches already! Found this for ya..

2.9 Cosworth
A special twin DOHC (QUAD CAM) version of the 2.9 was created by Cosworth Engineering in 1991 ( Code BOA ). Although it shared the same block as the standard 2.9 (with a few machining operations left out to improve strength), power output was up to 195 PS (143 kW) and torque was boosted to 203 ft·lbf (275 N·m) at 4500 rpm. This engine was used in the Ford Scorpio Cosworth 24V. It was always mated to an improved A4LD ( A4LDe (small e)) automatic gearbox. No manual versions were available, although there has been a number of aftermarket manual conversions done to them.

The engine used an almost 3-metre (9.8 ft) long duplex chain to drive the camshafts, tensioned by a hydraulic tensioner. The oil pump was driven by a shaft located where the camshaft previously was. The ignition was replaced by a distributorless EDIS-6 system which had no moving parts at all.

The engine was known for its substantial increase in power delivery above 4000 rpm relative to the unmodified version; in recent years the engine has become a popular choice as a replacement engine for Ford Sierras.

An improved version of this engine (code BOB) was available in the restyled 1995 Ford Scorpio. Differences included two simplex chains with two hydraulic tensioners and the addition of a variable length intake system called VIS. Power output was increased to 210 bhp (157 kW). This was mated to a fully electronically controlled A4LDE (big E) Autobox

Attachments

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am jealous. You better swap that in!

furnituremkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
yep I am going to do it come spring, it will pull circles around a small v6 toyota and the best thing is it will be a real sleeper

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
And you're sure it's a real European Cosworth, not the US 2.9 version for the Scorpio with just the different intake?

furnituremkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I m sure the donor car is right hand drive

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
+1 HolyFord86. We need a sneak preview at least if we have to wait tell spring:D

Jaydub

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Got no idea at all of the problems you might encounter fitting it (in fact I've got a thread on here for help with a standard lump) but over here (England) Cosworth engines are highly respected. There is a whole aftermarket catering to the track day crowd who regularly get BHP figures more akin to V8s of twice the capacity. I've known of several putting out over three hundred brake in street trim! The only real problem with the Sierras and Scorpios was that they nearly all got stolen and wrapped 'round trees...oh, and our Police used to use them as motorway patrol cars. If you can do it, go for it...it's a cracking motor.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a cool engine to me but might be a royal biotch to find parts for here in the U.S.

furnituremkr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
one would think that finding basic tuneup parts and engine maintenance items for the Cosworth 2.9 would be a pain in the bolicks here in America but is is not you can get all the engine maintenance items from Rockauto Parts on the web I buy 95% of all my auto parts from Rockauto delivery is with in 3 days from date of order usually and there prices are always lower than NAPA jobber or the big national chains

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just because its a right hand drive does not mean anything, several companies here in the states do right hand conversions for rural postal vehicles. If its a Cosworth my guess is it will say Cosworth somewhere on the top of the engine.

If it is a Cosworth, Its Very special & worth the swap, just be prepared for some hurdles to clear in the swap. I had a Vega that had GM's version in it & that thing was fast for what it was, add a Turbo & its a serious contender.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals